underdevelop overexposed film?

gardanni

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Executive Summary:
My color film received 'exposure compensation' equivalent to two full stops instead of just one, as I had intended. I wonder if a lab can underdevelop it in some way as to bring it back into the exposure range I had hoped for.

Details:
I used to be an avid photographer, but haven't been active for years. Finally I pulled my camera out today and shot a few rolls.

I am using an old camera with manual settings for ASA and 'exposure compensation' settings. I always had a preference for overexposed pictures, and I had set the camera set to increase the exposure one full stop. Unfortunately I realized as I was taking out my first roll of color film that I had neglected to adjust my ASA -- it was set for 400 ASA, not 800 ASA. The net effect is that my film received 'exposure compensation' equivalent to two full stops instead of just the one I had intended.

My question: I don't know whether images on negative appear all at once, gradually, or among some kind of predicatable curve; might I salvage the pictures if I were to ask the lab to 'underdevelop' the film? If so, I am not going to a high-end lab; is this an adjustment that can easily be made? If so, how much of an adjustment should I ask for, and how would I word this so that my intent is understood?

Many thanks.

Dan

Helen B

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
What film did you use? It's likely that colour negative will not require pull processing for a two-stop 'overexposure'.

Best,
Helen

OP
G

gardanni

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
What film did you use? It's likely that colour negative will not require pull processing for a two-stop 'overexposure'.

Thanks so much your interest. I used Kodak Ultramax 800 film. I am not sure what you mean by pull processing.

Helen B

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sorry. Pull processing, or simply 'pulling', is another way of saying underdeveloping. It's not commonly done for C-41 (ie colour negative) film.

Best,
Helen

OP
G

gardanni

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
in spite of the fact that pull processing is not usually done on color film, i read up online about my particular film type, and, in the end, i asked the lab to reduce processing time by one minute. it did help in terms of exposure, but the resulting quality wasn't too hot... a good learning experience. thanks very much, helen, for the feedback!

Most reactions

New Topics