Underexposed Edge of the Negative

Judeamarco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've used the search function without any success so I figured that I just make a new thread for this.

I don't know when it started but I've been noticing that I've been getting these underexposed edges on the negatives at the right side. At first I thought it was just the film curling while scanning but after further inspection, it definitely is on the film.
portra800-34.jpg
portra800-36.jpg

I noticed that it only shows up when I set my shutter at 1/60. Perhaps a sticky shutter? But wouldn't that mean it would actually overexpose it? I use a Canon Old F-1 if that will help. Any thoughts...?

If the shutter curtains travel horizontally, I'd say they are sticking.

Is there any way to fix this then? Or do I have to send it out to get repaired?

Very few folks have the wherewithall to fix it themselves. It's not a DIY job. It's gonna need a trip to the Camera Hospital.

I have that camera; never had anything like this happen. I would guess too that shutter speed may not be accurate.

You could get by with just using the faster speeds; use it on fairly sunny days where it's light enough to keep the shutter speed set at 1/125 or faster. I do that with some of my old cameras. It may not be worth the cost of repair but you could look at KEH and see how much their service is. It might be cheaper to buy a new camera.... maybe get an estimate.

I don't know if it could be 'leaky', if there could be foam seals that have deteriorated on that side of the camera. Try opening the back and see how the foam looks, that's a relatively easy, fairly inexpensive fix.

It's far too consistent to be a light light. Besides, light leaks would make that part of the image brighter, not darker.

Definitely not the foam seals since that would let light in and overexpose parts of it. This camera has so much sentimental value that I guess the search for a good repair place starts :p Thanks guys!

Is there anything surrounding the film gate that might be blocking the light path? Take off the lens, open the back, set it on bulb or T to hold the shutter open and take a look from the front and back.

It appears your shutter needs adjustment. It is experiencing either shutter bounce or capping or tapering.

These are caused by various movement issues of the shutter's two curtains in relation to each other and is often most visible at the middle shutter speeds such as 1/60. This kind of work would normally be done by a camera repair technician but nowadays it's usually more economical to find another body that is working correctly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back