Understanding Exposure - how good is the book ?

I found the book to contain fundamental errors -- it's not worth the paper it's printed on. Better than nothing for a beginner.

Joe

I really hate to argue especially over a forum since its mostly opinions but... That statement you made is just ridiculous! For a beginner the book does a great job of helping the reader understand the exposure triangle and why and when to use different SS or f/stop. Is it the best book , maybe not. But saying its not worth the paper its printed on is total nonsense! Maybe you have a better book to recommend???

Been over this before: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...228704-understanding-exposure-book-sucks.html

OK -- it's worth the paper it's printed on as long as you're not a beginner and don't "learn" some of the things that are wrong in this photo how-to-book. It's mostly right, but when you're teaching people who don't know and want to learn, giving them any wrong information is really really bad!

Joe
You're trying to make mountains out of a couple of molehills and overexaggerating the situation in the process.

The challenge to you is to write a perfect book suitable to beginners that can replace the book in question.

Either that, or just stop blowing around all this hot air about it.

As a beginner who has this book, Im curious what are the general things that are wrong?

I find the book to have useful information for me... but I can only read a few pages at a time before my head starts nodding.

As a beginner who has this book, Im curious what are the general things that are wrong?

Click on the link in the above post (understanding exposure--book sucks) and on the first page all the inaccuracies are mentioned. Debate can get very heated about this book. If you get an understanding of the exposure triangle out of this book, then it was a worthwhile read.

Im currently reading "Life Guide to Digital Photography" and I find it to be good. Some on the same material in Understanding Exposure, but spends a little less time on the basics - exposure triangle and more time on DOF, Light , flash etc...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, thanx everyone so far for your comments.

I see that understanding exposure is not for me. I need to turn it up a notch.
Seen some pretty nice books on Amazon that I wouldn't mind reading and get some idea's from. It's grey and misty around here and in the house I don't have enough light to really do aything. So I need some inspiration :grumpy:

I've read the book (in swedish) and it's. as said. Great for beginners. there's also a chapter about light but nothing fancy and worth knowing, probably things you already know.

For good books about light i'd say: Go for McNally! The hotshoe diaries and the moment it clicks.

Both are awesome book that i've been reading alot and is still learning from!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back