Understanding Exposure

Ashworth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have tried reading this book several times because it has been highly recommended to me so many times.

I have no clue why but I ca not get into it; I find myself spacing out while attempting to read it. Anyone know of any other books that are less of a chore to read? Or can someone explain to me the basics of undrstanding exposure?

I don't think I do horribly but i'd like to understand what I am doing so i know how to quickly fix issues I am having.

Thanks

Any basic photography book can explain exposure to you. Take your pick. Or you could just experiement with your camera and see how the shutter speeds and f stops work together. I would suggest you do both. As you are reading, have your camera with you and do what the book is saying.

Hmm, interesting. I read right through that book in a few hours. I'm a visual person though. Maybe you need hands on with someone to explain it to you cause I thought that book was a very easy read. Although I didn't get it all the first time, it all sunk in as I put it into practice and reread certain parts a couple more times.

You can probably learn everything that is in that book by reading old threads on this forum. The search feature is your friend.

Of course, once you do some reading and playing around, you should be able to ask the right questions so that we can give you somewhat short answers.

You may not get much with a request like 'explain the basics of exposure'. ;)

F-stop, shutter speed, ISO. They do stuff. If the books aren't your thing (they really aren't mine either unless it's, you know, interesting like The Hot Shoe Diaries), I'd suggest romping around the internet and catching tidbits here and there. With that and some sense, you'll figure it out. >.>

I bought it because of all the recommendations.

However by the time I got it I began thinking I already read this information on TPF :lol:

Had I read it first I'm sure I would have gotten much more out of it as I can see how he lays it out there in common day to day format.

Still, there were a few things that made me go 'ahhhhh, that's what you would do in this situation'.

I have tried reading this book several times because it has been highly recommended to me so many times.

I have no clue why but I ca not get into it; I find myself spacing out while attempting to read it. Anyone know of any other books that are less of a chore to read? Or can someone explain to me the basics of undrstanding exposure?
See if the info in the following links help...

Learning About Exposure - The Exposure Triangle

The Exposure Triangle – In Beginner Speak “The End of Auto Mode”

Lens Aperture Explained – Exposure Triangle Pt.1

Shutter Speed – Exposure Triangle Pt.2

ISO – Exposure Triangle Pt.3

I think this is obviously a joke guys lol. I mean it's basically a picture book, more than half the pages of the, what 50 page book, are pictures.

Kind of the point, to demonstrate (with pictures) what various exposures mean and do.

I don't know of a book that puts exposure into an easier to follow laymans terms style then Understanding Exposure.If you read the first five chapters (about an hour) then you should have your head wrapped around the subject but.................... if you are struggling with concentration and boredom with the subject then my first guess would be you simply are not interested in it enough to put in the effort to learn the information.

There is another book readily available that can help you decode the mysteries of how your camera and all the dials and settings in it work as well. It was written by a fine Latino fellow called Manuel, whoops sorry I mean Manual. :sexywink:

Samanax, do you have a text document or something with all these links pre-setup to post? ;)

Hey thanks everyone. I know I must seem weird for the book not being for me; all I am saying was its a boring read. I appreciate the links and i am going to check them out. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back