No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
westynimages.zenfolio.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys,
I use photoshop and Corel for post processing

I totally gave up understanding how to use masks in Corel, and I have had like 1% success in Photoshop.
IS there some huge secret I am not aware of?? Or am I just straight up DUMB!
I am wondering at this point if there is any real need to understand and use masks.
Is it a process that is just so complicated that there are other ways off achieving the same result??
what do think?? Opinions?

Ian

I used Corel at one time, but I don't remember much about the mask function of it. In Ps masks are one of the most useful tools and aren't that complicated to understand. There are two primary types of masks: clipping masks and layer masks, they're closely related in concept, but very different in application. A layer mask is something that you apply to a given layer to control the transparency of that layer. By changing the opacity and using a brush to paint away parts, you have control over what you want to reveal on that layer. Clipping masks are very similar, only they use one layer to determine the transparency of another.

There are tons of videos out there. Here's one from Phlearn on layer masks, and another on clipping masks.

thank you smoke, I will take a look at these tuts and see if that helps me.

If you get stuck post up some questions, or PM me, I'll try to help you through.

I have not used Corel but I use masks in Photoshop all the time. They are not hard once you go through with a tutorial or read more about it.

Thank you again guys, for your offer to help.
I understand what masking does. I apparently am not able to comprehend the process.
To the point. I select a photo - I make a duplicate layer - I click on the mask symbol in the layers palette - I hide all layers except the mask layer- I select black or white - I select a brush - I brush.
AND THERE IT ENDS. Final result.... NOTHING. Nothing reveals - nothing conceals.
I get zero result.
End game here - if you guys can make it work, I am very happy for you. I cannot... it is as simple as that. I quit on masks, I have wasted hundreds of hours coming back to this process again and again.
There is only so many times I can flog a dead horse. My brain is that dead horse... it is not going to get up now, or tomorrow, or next week.
I give up.... I am moving on without masks.

I hide all layers except the mask laye

And now we know the source of your frustration. LOL DON'T HIDE ALL YOUR LAYERS! When you do you leave nothing to reveal.

Try this-

Load a photo in PS
12.JPG

Now hold down the Crtl key and hit J. it will put a duplicate layer above your base layer.
123.JPG

Now go down to the bottom of the layer panel. Hold the ALT key and click the mask Icon.
1234.JPG

This will put a black layer mask on this layer, and your panel will look like this.
12345.JPG

Now note there are no changes to anything because the top layer and the bottom layer are the same. Even if I use a white brush to remove black from the layer mask the image is going to be the same. Now click on the image of the man in the top layer (important that he be selected). Hold down the Alt key, the shift key, the cntrl key and hit B. When the hue window pops up hit okay to select. Now you have a layer that looks like this. Note it still looks normal because you have a black mask that prevents the layer adjustment from showing through.
a12.JPG

Now select your brush, set the opacity to 100% and select white as the color. CLICK ON THE mask to select and paint anywhere on your image in the edit window. See what happens to the mask.
a123.JPG

Now look at your image in the edit window. Everywhere you painted white on the mask you allowed the B&W of the adjustment layer to show through.
a1234.JPG

If you had used a white mask, your whole image in the edit window would have been B&W. You could have used a black brush selected the mask by clicking on it and brushing away the B&W effect. White masks reveal, black masks hide.

Masking a layer allows you adjust the effects of just that layer (or if you've grouped layers to adjust the group effect). By adjusting the opacity of your brush and the opacity of the layer you control to the amount of the effect.

okay.... I finally understand this . BTW I am using PSE 12
Just when I was ready to walk away from it.... in fact I had walked away. My wife convinced me.... or more accurately would not shut up until I let her take a look at the problem.
CREATE LAYER FROM BACKGROUND..... jeeezez. If I right click on the thumbnail image in the top right layer panel and select layer from background, AND THEN.... and ONLY then click on the layer mask button.... THEN I can continue on and start getting results.
I just did NOT understand the difference between layer from background, and duplicate layer.
It is all quite obvious once I am able to see it.
What WAS helpful was to just sit here and re read everything and translate it into my "other planet" interpretation until the light came on.
Everyone learns differently... I have to translate into "dumbass English".
Now that I appear to have found the "missing gear from the clock that made it impossible to work", I am at least moderately hopeful that I will continue to understand this concept; and begin to apply my imagination as I would like to; rather than using sub standard alternatives.
SO... thx to my wife who wouldn't shut up.... and to you guys who didn't give up on me, I can move on.... maybe even produce some halfway decent results.

Just remember that any adjustment layer can have a mask that you can use to limit the effect of that layer.

Glad I could help.

I came across this tutorial earlier this week that did a great job of breaking down adjustment layers and masks for beginners. Even after working with Photoshop for 20+ years, I've never actually had any formal training, and found this kind of useful.

okay.... I finally understand this . BTW I am using PSE 12
Just when I was ready to walk away from it.... in fact I had walked away. My wife convinced me.... or more accurately would not shut up until I let her take a look at the problem.
CREATE LAYER FROM BACKGROUND..... jeeezez. If I right click on the thumbnail image in the top right layer panel and select layer from background, AND THEN.... and ONLY then click on the layer mask button.... THEN I can continue on and start getting results.
I just did NOT understand the difference between layer from background, and duplicate layer.
It is all quite obvious once I am able to see it.
What WAS helpful was to just sit here and re read everything and translate it into my "other planet" interpretation until the light came on.
Everyone learns differently... I have to translate into "dumbass English".
Now that I appear to have found the "missing gear from the clock that made it impossible to work", I am at least moderately hopeful that I will continue to understand this concept; and begin to apply my imagination as I would like to; rather than using sub standard alternatives.
SO... thx to my wife who wouldn't shut up.... and to you guys who didn't give up on me, I can move on.... maybe even produce some halfway decent results.

Have you considered this thought? Counter-intuitive is a polite way of describing an aspect of so many poorly-designed things in this world...software, computers,menu layouts, electronic devices,etc.

Hey Derrel, I don't know if you just called me out, for being a loser, or was just making light of my frustration. But that is ok man, I have thick skin... until it comes down to technology lol... then I just lose my S**T.
It's ok... it's just how I roll. Either way... you made me laugh.

Nope. Neither you ,nor your frustration,were being called out. AS I wrote earlier, " Counter-intuitive is a polite way of describing an aspect of so many poorly-designed things in this world...software, computers,menu layouts, electronic devices,etc."

With the added emphasis of the italics,perhaps you can understand my comment...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back