Underwater Photography

bc2292

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've always found underwater photography awesome.
And i wanna try it out. But I'm having a hard time finding a good case for my D90 thats not in the 1K range. If anyone has any good cases that they would recommend lemme know :) also post up any cool water photography :D

They are going to be cheap at $1K...

You could pick up a cheap point and shoot that will give you decent results.

If you get into serious underwater photography it's going to get expensive quick. I'd take the above recommendation and get a P&S that is suited for decent depths and have fun.

The last thing I'd want to do is go cheap on an underwater housing for a DSLR.

I know we have a few on here who do do this kind of work, but I have no seen either of the two main ones I am aware of in quite some time. So you might get more chance of a responce if you send a note to liquidmocean over on AWFN
Sign In to talkwildlife.com - talkwildlife.com

He does a lot of underwater based photography and videography and if you're serious he might be able to give you some advice.

I also looked into renting a case for the D90 for a scuba dive and had no luck.

Here is a pretty darn good comparison of the top P&S models, I am actually thinking of picking one up for fun. They are a WAY WAY cheaper then anything remotely close to a good hard case for your DSLR.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q209waterproofgroup/

I use one of these with my Canon G2 with good results ... they make them for SLRs too.

ewa-marine:*U-A Series for AF SLR. underwater camera housing

I bought mine used on e-bay, but I think that B&H, Amazon, etc. sell them too.

The Ikelite hard cases are the gold standard, but they are VERY pricey (the case for my 7D lists at about $1600). http://www.ikelite.com/

You might also consider picking up a used Nikinos film camera. Nikon made them as dedicated underwater cameras.

I was going to joke about a zip-loc bag, but.............. :lol:

Looks interesting.

Yes, it scared me when I first saw it, but it was the only affordable one that could be used below about 10 feet or so (and I was scuba diving in Maui). It worked fine.

You should PM sabath999 . He has posted some beautiful underwater images here.

BTW there are a zillion Nikonos for sale on e-bay at a reasonable price. These were excellent cameras, if you're willing to use film.

Last edited:
Yes, it scared me when I first saw it, but it was the only affordable one that could be used below about 10 feet or so (and I was scuba diving in Maui). It worked fine.

You must be very trusting lol. Do you have any pictures you took while using that housing?

I'll have to go digging, but yes I do have some.

Here are a couple on my photobucket ...

I'll look for more when I get home from work ...

1282709633_04970166b6.jpg

1274100118_af0c91038b.jpg

Most reactions

Back