Unduly happy with this shot

Jeremy Z

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is one of those that we probably all have but are maybe afraid to show?

Yesterday night was Chess Night at the local Borders. I had just finished playing (got whupped) and was reading a camera buyers guide. I had brought my Canon SD600 and decided to try my hand at an available light shot or two.

My wife was knitting this scarf for me and someone had just said something funny. I like the blur of the needles and the sincere smile. Even though it is blurry, I'm going to keep it. Just felt like sharing.

How could I improve? Millions of ways. Use a faster lens, higher ISO, better background, etc. But then the sincerity and candidness aren't there.

Kate_Knitting.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~jzorns/Kate_Knitting.jpg

I like it too, the needles do look really cool.

There's something I've noticed about the smiles. In candid photography, the smiles are better because they're sincere. The eyes are into it too, not just a bunch of teeth.

We should have a forum in the gallery area for candids. It is a legitimate area of photography.

This is the area...

This is the area...
What I meant is that candids don't necessarily need to be low quality or technically bad. They can be well done, and be considered much more than a snapshot, and MUCH more than a blooper.

But if you insist this is the place, then OK.

Nothing wrong with candids, and you can find a good many in our new People and Pets forum!
Though, despite her very natural smile ... this still is a blooper, technically speaking, there is no doubt, now is there? TECHNICALLY speaking, I mean!

Though, despite her very natural smile ... this still is a blooper, technically speaking, there is no doubt, now is there? TECHNICALLY speaking, I mean!
Absolutely right. It'd have to be printed mighty small not to appear blurry, hehehe.

So I'm not talking about this shot, this one is low grade all the way, except for her smile and the blur of the needles. I was speaking more generally.

Well, for "more generally", there IS the People and Pets Forum!

Most reactions

Back