Unedited photos

If they are JPEGs, at least 80% of the color data has been edited out (discarded), and the image has been converted into 64 pixel squares called MCU's, Minimum Coded Units.

You might want to see if you can find a site that has old Polaroid's on line. Those would be un-edited.:mrgreen:

What's more, it would be crucial when the photos were taken with no intention to be edited.

I think it's time you defined "edited". Every photo is edited in someway. Back when you took a film camera just took the shot and handed them to the pharmacy they were scanned, then all sorts of colour adjustments were done either automatically or manually to give you the resulting photo. The mere choice of checmicals to process in is part of the editing equation, as is time temperature etc.

Digital is no different. Even if you do a factory reset on your camera the resulting picture is something that someone thought you may want to see. The same photo taken on a Nikon, Canon, Olympus, etc will look subtly different in terms of colour contrast and saturation with none of them being perfectly neutral.

But are you after eye-popping masterpieces? In which case why would a photographer take a photo he has no intention of finishing? If you want un-edited photos look in the local newspaper. But none of them are Pulitzer Prize winners directly from the camera without some through of how was it supposed to look when it finally hit the news-stand.

What's more, it would be crucial when the photos were taken with no intention to be edited.

I think it's time you defined "edited". Every photo is edited in someway. Back when you took a film camera just took the shot and handed them to the pharmacy they were scanned, then all sorts of colour adjustments were done either automatically or manually to give you the resulting photo. The mere choice of checmicals to process in is part of the editing equation, as is time temperature etc.

Digital is no different. Even if you do a factory reset on your camera the resulting picture is something that someone thought you may want to see. The same photo taken on a Nikon, Canon, Olympus, etc will look subtly different in terms of colour contrast and saturation with none of them being perfectly neutral.

But are you after eye-popping masterpieces? In which case why would a photographer take a photo he has no intention of finishing? If you want un-edited photos look in the local newspaper. But none of them are Pulitzer Prize winners directly from the camera without some through of how was it supposed to look when it finally hit the news-stand.

Garbz, One to many Fosters last night??? :D :lol:

Back when you took a film camera just took the shot and handed them to the pharmacy they were scanned,
:confused: :confused: :confused:

I did darkroom work in the old days of film. We never "scanned" the film but we did process the film there by developing the negatives and then printed positives or in the case of color reversal films such as Ektachrome we framed the slides unless requested not to.

Every step of the developing process and printing process was just as you explained however. Chemical choice, processing choice, time, temperature all effected the process.

Technically, even Polaroid instant film can be edited. Too little time or to much time will effect the final photo as well. Didn't think of that in my previous post. :blushing:

I did darkroom work in the old days of film.

The old days things were quite different, though I was putting it in the context of the original poster. By asking this question I assumed he was under 25, so likely if he used film at all his local lab's machine would have developed in chemicals, then scanned and then inkjet printed the result. All the one machine, but a far cry from the darkroom wizardry that these days is confined to my kitchen late on a moonless night.

By the way Fosters is an export beer. No self respecting Australian drinks it, and to be perfectly frank I wouldn't even know where to buy the stuff if I wanted it :cheers:

a far cry from the darkroom wizardry that these days is confined to my kitchen late on a moonless night.

So that's where VB comes from. I always wondered.:lol:

Hmmm...

If What I have collected from this thread is true then while the statement being made by most is true, their time lime is false. The point at which is being stated by most as far as when editing begins is way off.

The beginning of an image edit is not even close to the dark room in film days. The beginning of an image edit is not even close to camera auto modes in digital days either.

If one sets a digital camera to a sports mode then shutter speed and aperture are adjusted accordingly and automatically. What many are failing to see here is the fact that the key word is adjusted not automatically. It does not matter if you use the auto mode or if you mirror those settings in manual mode, the minute the photographer chooses his settings he has in effect edited the prospective manner to which the image will be captured.

While I find it strange that one can edit future images that do not yet exist. This is verified as true by the forum on two counts. Those stating polariods are edited and the fact that if I turn my camera off and then back on those settings that will "edit" my future images are still looked upon as the act of editing while I do nothing but snap away. The editing could be seen as beginning when the setting was changed which could be a year prior if I use the settings from a camera that has sat idle for a year.

With that said, if you really want to get anal about it, lets look at synonyms for the word "edit"...

Main Entry: edit Part of Speech: verb Definition: rewrite, refine Synonyms: adapt, alter, amplify, analyze, annotate, arrange, assemble, assign, blue-pencil, boil down, butcher, censor, check, choose, compile, compose, condense, correct, cut, delete, discard, doctor, draft, emend, excise, feature, fine-tune, finish, fly speck, go over, make up, massage*, polish, prepare, prescribe, proofread, publish, put together, rearrange, recalibrate, rectify, redact, regulate, rehash, rephrase, report, revise, scrub, select, set up, strike out, style, tighten, trim, write over

... notice if you will that the word compose also falls in line with the word edit. So in essence one could say that the editing process begins the minute one looks through the camera viewfinder as that is when composing the shot begins. On SLRs this could even be done pre power up of the camera.

To the OP:

As Derrel noted the SOOC acronym in his post, I agree that (Straight Out Of Camera) might be a better term to use for what you are looking for. Especially since many persons can't let it go despite their knowing what you mean.

Look at it this way. If you miss pronounce a word there are always going to be people who will not let it rest until you do pronounce it "the correct way" They know word you speak of or they would not have the reason to tell you that it was being pronounced wrong.

Here in this forum that is just one of those mispronounced words ("edit"/"editing") that us more anally inclined can't seem to let go of unless others see it our way.

I cannot say I have found a source for SOOC images that have the effect on me that you are looking for.

Cheers!

A few additions and typo corrections sections 3 and 4

Last edited:
Hmmm...

If What I have collected from this thread is true then while the statement being made by most is true, their time lime is false.

My time lime is just fine. My time lemon is running a bit fast and my time grapefruit needs a new mainspring.

Hmmm...

If What I have collected from this thread is true then while the statement being made by most is true, their time lime is false.

My time lime is just fine. My time lemon is running a bit fast and my time grapefruit needs a new mainspring.
:lol:

The thing is, everyone draws the "what constitutes edited" line in the sand in a different place. It's quite subjective and, frankly, of very little importance in the scheme of things, IMHO.

Hmmm...

:lol::thumbup:

I have got to leave that one in their now! :lol:

Last edited:
The thing is, everyone draws the "what constitutes edited" line in the sand in a different place. It's quite subjective and, frankly, of very little importance in the scheme of things, IMHO.

Very concise well put indeed. When the glass is sitting their half full or half empty how important is it truly as to what method was used to fill the glass?

I agree with your opinion.

Most reactions

Back