Unintended glow in photograph

1212surface

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
I am an amateur photographer who works in the creative line...
Took some photography classes in college and worked in a darkroom. I know basic stuff about exposure and f-stops, etc...

I recently took a photo of a childseat that I wanted to put up for sale.
There was one thing I noticed in the photo. The white plastic glows.

Does anyone know how I can re-shoot this photo so that the white plastic does not appear to glow?

This photo was shot with natural lighting from the window from the left using a consumer point-and-shoot camera. - Does the problem lie within the inferior optics used? Or is it a question of lighting or technique?

glow01.jpg
glow02.jpg

Looks like slight veiling glare. Pretty common. Lens might be smudged with a thin,almost invisible film of, well 'stuff'. It could also be that the lens has a bit of overall, veiling glare when shot in such situations. My opinion is that the lens is dirty...

that or the lens just ain't sharp...

thanks very much Darrel & Palakaboy. I'm shooting with a consumer camera. I'm not expecting great results.

I'm assuming the same "glowing" effect can be achieved using a soft filter on a proper DSLR with good optics?

Dan

Hi,

The problem you're having (CA) exists to greater/lesser degree with all optics and cameras. Unfortunately it is more manifest in modern digital cameras, especially the consumer market variety. I'm not aware of any camera/lens combination that completely beats it. I use Canon L series zooms on a 5D mII and get the problem predictably under classic conditions.

Notice that you see the problem along dark/light borders -- the classic condition. If you zoom in really close to your glow you'll see green and red banding there. Here's the Wiki article: Chromatic aberration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Joe

Hi, how about if you would use a light diffuser in front of your window ? i believe that it would help a little bit.

Is it just motion blur? I do not think that is CA at all.

Camera Maker: Panasonic
Camera Model: DMC-FS3
Image Date: 2010-06-10 09:46:02 -0700
Focal Length: 5.5mm (35mm equivalent: 53mm)
Aperture: f/2.8
Exposure Time: 0.167 s (1/6)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: program (Auto)
Exposure Mode: Auto Bracketing
White Balance: Auto
Light Source: Unknown
Flash Fired: No (Manual)
Color Space: sRGB

Not motion blur. Not CA.

Just lack of sharpness. That shows best in contrasty places. My Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 does the same thing shot wide open.

Hi,
I am an amateur photographer who works in the creative line...
Took some photography classes in college and worked in a darkroom. I know basic stuff about exposure and f-stops, etc...

I recently took a photo of a childseat that I wanted to put up for sale.
There was one thing I noticed in the photo. The white plastic glows.

Does anyone know how I can re-shoot this photo so that the white plastic does not appear to glow?

This photo was shot with natural lighting from the window from the left using a consumer point-and-shoot camera. - Does the problem lie within the inferior optics used? Or is it a question of lighting or technique?

glow01.jpg
glow02.jpg

looks like you shot this with a point and shoot?

point and shoots have lousy lenses, this is a type of veiling flare, a form of coma. Totally normal for a pocket camera.

Most reactions

Back