Unresponsive issues with D90

basic flair

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Greetings y'all! Long time lurker here.

I'm having some weird issues with my D90. Last week I was out shooting a local concert and, from time to time, the electronics of the camera would just freeze up. I would be in the middle of shooting, everything going fine, and then the camera becomes unresponsive. I could still see through the viewfinder, turning it off didn't help, and the readout still stayed in its regular view like it would if it was on; had to take out the batteries and, after looking through the pictures, I realized that some of those shots I took preceding the freeze were lost.

Other times, I would be shooting and camera would stop with the battery indicator blinking like it was a battery error. Turning it off and then on again fixed that but it happened multiple times and it's a real PIA. Looked at the battery info through the menu and the both are in great shape.

Today I decided I would get to the root of the problem; thinking it was either one of the batteries or a problem with the grip. I removed the grip, replaced the battery door and put a battery into the camera. The camera didn't even recognize a battery was inserted; no readout, whatsoever, and no green light when the battery was inserted (one battery is OEM, the other is not). It has been a long time since I've used the camera without the grip but I do recall it working previously (over a year ago). Cleaned the contacts of the batteries and inside the camera to no avail. When I attach the grip and put the batteries in, everything is back to life.

Sounds like it's time to send it in but I'd like to see if y'all have any suggestions. I've searched the forum and didn't see anything that exactly matched my issue. Sorry if something like this has already been covered, there are a lot of D90 issues.

Do you have the original nikon battery? I have heard of other brands that could cause a problem!
Other than that, I would call Nikon.

I've tried shooting with the grip on and only the OEM battery, the same issues persist.

Send it in for repair. It's malfunctioning.

It's likely one of the battery contacts in the camera was damage by the grip. Look at the contacts on the part of the grip that goes in the camera body and shine a light into the camera battery compartment and inspect inside the cameras.
Hopefully, you have been using a Nikon MD-80 grip and not an aftermarket grip.

Last edited:
Send it in for repair. It's malfunctioning.

It's likely one of the battery contacts in the camera was damage by the grip. Look at the contacts on the part of the grip that goes in the camera body ans shine a light into the camera battery compartment and inspect inside the cameras.
Hopefully, you have been using a Nikon MD-80 grip and not an aftermarket grip.
Thanks for the insight, KmH. I am using the Nikon MB-80 grip.

Most reactions

Back