Unsharp photos.. Just got my first film developed

nnnbne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys. I'm new to film photography and I know I need to read and educate myself on the topic. Before I do that I'm hoping to get some input on what I did wrong. The photos look really unsharp and the quality is extremely poor. Can someone guess what my problem is?

Fujifilm C200 / Canon EOS 300

1. imgbox - fast, simple image host
2. imgbox - fast, simple image host
3. imgbox - fast, simple image host
4. imgbox - fast, simple image host
5. imgbox - fast, simple image host

Thanks in advance.

In the first one, the leaf photograph, it actually is very sharp on the lower left edge. Everything else is out of focus (OOF) due to the shallow depth of field (DOF). Sometimes you want a shallow DOF, and sometimes you don't. In the leaf photo, your camera and lens focused on the near edge of the leaf, and the aperture was fairly wide, so you ended up with a shallow DOF. Probably nothing wrong with your camera.

Without any more info other than the camera & film used (aperture, shutter speed etc). and not having access to the original film, we're all just going to be guessing here.

Other culprits might be: Misaligned element in lens. Misaligned focus screen. Poor scanning.

Thanks for the input. I know the scans are quite bad, but even when I look at the photos irl they look off and unsharp, as if I zoomed from far away.

Unfortunately, I don't recall the exact settings, aperture was probably f/8.

That's why you carry a notepad and pencil. To record your settings.

Or at least a smartphone app.

They look to be massively over-sharpened to me. I always scan with no sharpening and do any sharpening needed myself afterwards - but you cannot sharpen an out of focus photograph.

Is your lens completely on? I remember shooting a roll once with the lens on but not actually snapped in place...everything came out slightly dark and out of focus.

Those are exceptionally low-resolution scans. Absolutely _dreadful_ quality. Really,really,realllly poor scans.

Ok, it turns out that it is indeed a scanner issue. I had never used it before and I didn't know it was that bad.. I've just tried a different scanner and the results are much, much better. Thanks for all the help anyway.

Poor scans. If you send them out, some places offer enhanced and super scans. Of course that costs more. For viewing on the web, those look ok though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back