Unsure what macro lens to buy

xangria

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just bought a Canon EOS Rebel XS. I love taking macro photos and am looking for a decent lens, but nothing very expensive since it's just for my own hobby. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am new to DSLRs so I don't really know what to look for in a lens.

Thanks!

How much is "not very expensive" in cash?
Macro is an area you can get into very cheaply and more expensively - with the cheaper options being (of course) often more limited in scope.

Tamron 90mm f2.8 Di , amazing lens for the price. defiantly something to consider. you can pick up for 400$ new and even less used

I've got the Sigma 105 mm F/2.8 and absolutely LOVE it! It's a little more expensive, I've seen $350 for Nikons, but about $450 for Canon. I also just do macro as a hobby. The length of the lens is perfect for both flowers and insects as well. This lens produces very sharp photos.

Something to think about saving a little more money for. I mean, I've never used another macro lens, but I have very little complaints about this one.

If a new one doesn't fit your budget, i suggest looking for a used one. Possibly your local newspapers or online adds

With a limited budget, extension tubes are worth considering. If you have a Canon 50/ f1.8 (if you don't, you should - terrific lens for about $90!) you can add about 40-50 mm of extension tube(s) and you're in the macro range with the lens focused on infinity.

Extension tubes in that range tend to be quite expensive. In the end he is still spending almost the amount of the Macro Lens

That is true, but it can be done under the $300 limit with new equipment (Kenko Auto Extension Tube Set DG for Canon EOS Lens AEXTUBEDGC), while the macro lenses are all more than that unless you take a chance on a used one. Depends how you feel about used stuff - I don't trust it myself but I know a lot of people swear by it.

it all depends on the owner and how the lens was treated i guess, i mean for instance. i bought my Tamron 90mm used from local add, and turns out he owned it for about 7years! and when i got it there wasn't the smallest scuff or scratch on the lens , and there was a UV filter on it since day one of purches. You never know until you go out there and look for your self

Most reactions

Back