Untitled Photo - Critique

GutsAndGlory

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not sure what to say as this is my first critique, but here is the photo...go at it lol
01060022.jpg

the bottom dog looks very soft, and there is a lot of dead space at the top... the door/window frame at the left is a bit distracting.

i think a horizontal image that places the dogs head out of center and perhaps a larger aperture to get more of the dogs in focus (or perhaps a faster shutter speed) would lead the eye around a little more and make for better composition.

the point of focus seems to be mostly the top dogs nose... was this a horizontal shot with a crop?

Altho the position of the dogs' heads and paws are really interesting, the verticals in this image are slightly off and that disturbs the eye to begin with.

The crop is strange, not quite square and including a lot of dark space above the points of interest that has no purpose.

If there is more to this picture, it would benefit from rotating the image to erect the vertical of the door and cropping closer to the dogs. It would be ideal if the head were more to the left of center, showing more of their bodies and getting the face of the closer one off-center.
01060022bbss3.jpg

Personaly I like the way the dobie appears to come out of nowhere. There seems to be something secretive or hidden behind (s)he. I would agree with rotating the image to make it more square and still cropping it but I don't know if I would go that small. There's a depth in this image that would be lost.

I don't know if I would go that small. There's a depth in this image that would be lost.

I agree. It is cool how the upper dog seems to be coming out of the dark.

...and perhaps a larger aperture to get more of the dogs in focus (or perhaps a faster shutter speed)...

You mean larger f-stop number, right?

It looks like a bit more depth of field is needed to bring both dogs' faces into sharp focus, the eyes at least. As it is, neither really seems to be. A bit of sharpening could help, but can only take it so far.

They are cute, though. I take it they're good friends?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back