Untitled

Nikon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Don't have a title for this one yet, but I posted it earlier to get help with removing a fence. I'm satisfied with what I've done, but would like critique on the picture. It still needs some work, but would like to know what you all think! Oh and feel free to throw out a title too :wink:

gpahorses.JPG

I am not an expert, but I can just speak about my own feeling. To me the brightness is ok, and actually gives a freshness to the scene. The horses actually make the landscape more interesting.

This is solely my feeling. But it appears nice to me..:)

I'm no expert either - but I think that:

the photo is so bright that it gives the horses a blue shadow, which ruins the natural image. Also, the white horses blend into the white snow too much.

Amanda- excellent PS work! It may be a bit too bright so work a little with the burn and dodge tool and see what you come up with on the blown out areas.

Before long we'll all be looking to you for PS help :wink:

Jon

My first critique...hope I can help.

I agree with the others right now, too bright (white horses and white snow) and the horizon doesn't do much for this picture so I would have zoomed in more on the horses (if you were able too).

I hate to keep going negative, but that is what this section is for right? I also don't get anything from the trees. I think I feel like this picture is missing color for a color print.

Personally, I would try this picture in B&W and play with it.

Just my opinion...hope it helps.

Thanks all for the comments! I definitely felt it was wayyyy to bright as well,but needed some advice on it. I have compiled these three edits, first an attempt at doge/burn/sponge, then b&w, and then sepia. I really am starting to like the sepia affect, it gives it a western feel. Let me know what you think, and any more suggestions greatful! Thanks again!!!

edit1.jpg

edit2.jpg

editsepia.JPG

Color: Looks better, but still can't say I like it.

B&W: somehow became very grainy. Maybe had there been a filter (maybe yellow) the details would be better.

Sephia: too much red/brown in the background trees. If you can cool it off a little and possibly have the horses stand out a little more...but so far, I am liking this one the best.

Keep playing!

There are several experiments I would like to see with the first submission. I would really be interrested in seeing the results.

1) Image>Adjustments>Photo Filter
#85 warming filter.

and/or

2) (PS cs) Image>Adjustments>Shadow/Highlights
ShadowAmount = 0
ShadowTonalWidth = 50
ShadowRadius = 30
HighlightAmount = 60 (aproximately)
HighlightTonalWidth = 60 (aproximately)

and/or

3) Image>Adjustments>Brightness/Contrast
Brightness = -25 (aprox)
Contrast = 0.

As accomplished as you are in PS, I'm certain you've already tried these processes.

BTW, I enjoyed looking at that scene. I liked all the renditions. The #1 edit of the 3 edits is my favorite. The Sepia is close to being my favorite.

Nice work.

it looks like one of those watercolor paintings by that one famous artist that paints pybald (spelling) horses in the snow. its strange cuz you can't see em, but you can. the trick is to count how many horses you see in the photo. can't ever get the right #.

Most reactions

Back