Up close and personal

KAikens318

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I got a ring flash in today, as well as macro extension tubes (Which are promptly being returned as I had to use a pipe wrench to get my lens free from them). Played around with the ring flash to try and get some macro lighting

DSC_0507.jpg

What kind of extension tubes did you get? I got a set of Zeikos for my D90 and read some reviews about them being hard to detach (one reviewer saying he simply couldn't get it off), and I had a little trouble getting my 36mm tube off of my 50mm 1.8. Definitely some fitment issues. Just curious if you have the same ones.

Your dime is underexposed.

What kind of extension tubes did you get? I got a set of Zeikos for my D90 and read some reviews about them being hard to detach (one reviewer saying he simply couldn't get it off), and I had a little trouble getting my 36mm tube off of my 50mm 1.8. Definitely some fitment issues. Just curious if you have the same ones.

I will post the un-burned photo, I thought it looked overexposed so I used the burn tool. Will post that later.

They were Zyykor or something strange like that but not Zeikos. I guess you get what you pay for when you pay $10. I will wait until I have a little more money and get the ones that are AF and I don't need to have an apeture ring on my lens for because I only have 1 lens that has that and it sucks. Lol

So I got a ring flash in today, as well as macro extension tubes (Which are promptly being returned as I had to use a pipe wrench to get my lens free from them). Played around with the ring flash to try and get some macro lighting

Which ring flash did you purchase? I'm looking around for one right now. How happy are you with it?

he same ones.

I will post the un-burned photo, I thought it looked overexposed so I used the burn tool. Will post that later.

Ahh the burning explains the dimness of the shot since the first thing I thought was that you had overexposure over a good portion of the coins surface - as shown by the large areas of white coin where (even with the burning) there is no detail data recorded by the camera.

In the future whilst shooting turn on your cameras histogram when you are reviewing your photos - that should display a histogram for you to read which will not only show if you have over/under exposure in the shot but also show you where the overexposure is (blinking sections of the shot in this mode).

This allows you to recompose the shot - adjust your settings and try again. Diffusion will be key as well controlling the power output of the ringflash - however I've never diffused light from a ringflash so I can't give any specifics as to designs you can consider using

Which ring flash did you purchase? I'm looking around for one right now. How happy are you with it?

I bought a CoCo ring flash. It's for the SB-900 so it's a little big for my speedlight, but I just bought some velcro and made a strap for it. So far it seems to light things that are near you well, but not for distance shots. So it's perfect for macro and will be great when I go back to the cupcake shot and shoot more product there. So far so good but I only got to play with it for about 5 minutes today after it got there. Lol. Will let you know once I get a chance to use it more. (Which will be tonight, gonna buy some cupcakes to practice with!)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back