Up In Smoke C&C

Clawed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Been a while since I posted here for C&C, but let me know what you think. This was my first go with off-camera flash (and my new Cactus V4s).

It's also one of my first shots as I recover from Carpal Tunnel surgery. I HAD to take a few shots, as I was having withdrawls :D

Note: It's okay to me that there are a couple of hot spots

Exposure:0.167 sec (1/6)
Aperture:f/8.0
Focal Length:50 mm
ISO Speed:100

------------------------------- Black backdrop

Silver Reflector ~> ------- Smoke - Incence -- <~ 430EXII-snooted

----------------------- Camera

3844956574_47f27b038f_b.jpg

What the heck, here is a smoke only shot as well:

3844109710_2344ab8019_o.jpg

------------------------------- Black backdrop

Silver Reflector ~> ------- Smoke - Incence -- <~ 430EXII-snooted

----------------------- Camera

Last edited:
Interesting is all I have to say. What is it?

It's a decorative ball-thing (that's the technical description, I swear).

Just playing with some smoke ;)

Cool, you could burn the finger make em look nasty.

^ this is not a bad idea, would look kewl, Im sure

Anyone else have any insight?

Would be cool if the hand isn't there, I keep looking at the hand while looking at the smokes. The egg shape is nice, but I would try lower the flash power for a stop or 2 and put the flash at 55 degreed instead of 80-90; It would show more of the egg and not only 1/3 of it. Still looking good tho.

edit: Congratz on your new lens.

Kcc

choudhrysaab: I had seriously considered doing just that, I think it would probably look cool.

Kcc: I took a few shots at first, trying to keep the hand out, but I kinda liked the hand holding it.

As for the lighting, it was at that dramatic angle because I was shooting just the smoke at first, but I wanted to try something different and I did not change my setup (was being lazy). This was an afterthought, but I still kinda liked the outcome. In regard to it's shape, I really wish it was a perfect sphere.

Is the smoke real or done is ps?
I'll have to pick myself up one of those decorative ball-things! :lmao:

Is the smoke real or done is ps?
I'll have to pick myself up one of those decorative ball-things! :lmao:

The smoke is indeed real. Originally, I was just photographing the smoke (or teaching myself to), but I wanted to do something a bit different, so I looked for a nearby object and came up with this.

The photo is minimally edited. I just got rid of the smoke coming from below the hand so it would look as if it was coming from the object (or hand).

I added setup above so you can practice you own smoke pics ;)

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll have to try that some time. I just can't stand incense sometime though! :lol:

Most reactions

Back