Up in Smoke

Nikon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My first post from the new XT. The border needs definite work for sure. I am playing with the program that came with the camera Arcsoft Photostudio, so I'm still learning the program, but I like how the pic came out. Critique as harsh as possible :) Thanks for lookin!!!

upinsmoke.jpg

Lots of potential there.... WWII look... saving ryan's privates...

It's soft, maybe due to jpeg compression
border is bad
branches on the left serve no purpose
You need something in the foreground... a soldier, scared women... some flames...

Putting your camera way closer to the grass level would've made it much better.

Hard enough? :D cool picture.

Yes! I would visit that farmhouse often if possible. The spot of light on it seems close to perfect. I even like the tall crop.

Critically; the colors look flat. A little stronger saturation and seperation of tones. The image is deserving of a higher resolution.

I am not sure what a "new XT" is. I can only guess what the deal is with that smoke. Spill all the gory details.

Thanks for the critiques. The story behind this is that there has been an ongoing fire b/c of a tire dump site a few miles from my house. So I drove out there around the area of the smoke to see what kind of pics I could get and just happened to stumble across this building, and thought it looked pretty cool with the smoke behind it :) The problem for shooting different angles was that there is a fence right there with caution tape all over saying not to cross, otherwise I might have been able to try some different angles. I have 2 other shots, but like this the best.

The image posted here does look pretty compressed...I shot it at the highest quality of jpeg, so it may have to do with resizing in Arcsoft Photostudio which I'm still learning. I'll be sure and play around with the saturation more, and clone out the branches on the side. Thanks for the comments!!!

I tried resizing in Ifranview...hopefully the quality is a bit better now, but not as good as the original for sure. I also added more saturation and clone out the branches on the left side. What do you think???

fireeditedweb.jpg

Thanks Craig. It's funny what bothers some people and what others like :lol: I like it for sure with more saturation, but still don't know about the branches. They seemed a bit distracting, but they also add to the pic at the same time... Thanks for your input :)

Funny may not be the way to put it. May be interesting is a better way.

Personally I try and stay away from extensive cloning. I try and reshoot the subject with different ideas. Generally I get good results. The other end of that theory is that moments can never be recaptured. For instance; hopefully that smoke is gone by now.

Unfortunately the smoke isn't gone...they said it's going to take weeks for it to go away b/c there isn't any way to stop it :confused: Not good for the folks in that area to be breathing, but it has provided some good photo opps...

Keep the branches they keep your eye from wandering off the page with the smoke. Looks good with the saturation but mabe try and keep the sky all smoky like. Everones a critic.

Most reactions

Back