Upcoming wedding Venue

Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Today I stopped by the church that I'll be shooting one of my first weddings in around August. I figured it would be a good idea to get a feel for the place before my consultation/contract signing with the clients. From the looks of it, I'm thinking I'll be bringing in a 1000W studio head and bouncing way off the ceiling for formals up front once the ceremony is done. Before then, there is tons of beautiful light that filters in through the stained glass.

I am beyond excited, and I thought you all might have fun with a peak :) Any venue-specific tips are welcome!

Tdn6JTL.jpg

1aIKFic.jpg

27VbL1l.jpg

pi3tvwu.jpg

Looks like a great venue, but I would reconsider the bounced strobe idea for formals. That ceiling has to be 30' and curved. Trying to bounce off of that is NOT going to give you nice light. If the couple wants their formals in church, and you're lucky enough to be allowed to bring lights & stands in, then go simple; two speedlights on stands, set them up for a basic 'key & fill' scheme and worry about the posing.

Good luck!

Looks like a great venue, but I would reconsider the bounced strobe idea for formals. That ceiling has to be 30' and curved. Trying to bounce off of that is NOT going to give you nice light. If the couple wants their formals in church, and you're lucky enough to be allowed to bring lights & stands in, then go simple; two speedlights on stands, set them up for a basic 'key & fill' scheme and worry about the posing.

Good luck!
I think if he bounces off the wall up front- should get some nice directional light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose I was going with the suggestion made in this video:

How To Light Wedding Posed Pictures In A Church | Fstoppers

Really value the insight folks :)

Edit: I'm strictly thinking of bouncing off that front dome. It's yellow in the photos because their tungsten lights were on, but the walls are white.

Last edited:
if you could get the bride up on that balcony after the ceremony with an assistant holding an flash out in front of her for one shot, then a second to get flash out of frame, that could be one cool shot.

ive seen a very similar shot with either a review on teh d750 or 7dii ill try to find.

Here is my opinion. If the clients requested to do the formal (group photos) in front of the altar, then do it! If they never mentioned it, I would personally suggest doing it in front of the church (exterior). You will have tons of photos of the ceremony looking at the altar. There is no need to do more group photos with the same background over and over. I would maybe do one formal of the Bride and groom in front of the altar looking at the camera and that's about it. When I do formal, I am loud. I scream everyone's name when I go through the list because people do not pay attention. I feel like when I am inside the church I have to keep my voice down (I was an altar boy).

Anyway, do it outdoor man! Hopefully the outside of the church is as beautiful.

Most reactions

Back