35mm 1.8
18-105 3.5-5.6
Macro 105 2.8

What I shoot:
Product photographs
Portraits
Video
(Sometimes) Events/weddings

I've started making money with my business about a year ago and I want to go full frame for the higher image quality, better low light performance sharpness etc but would like some friendly advice as to what to upgrade with. I make most of my money doing product photography/portraiture. I work 70% in a studio environment. I normally use my 35mm or my 18-105 for studio work but the distortion is so awful, I really cant stand it anymore. The 35mm is good, but on a cropped sensor it can be constricting in a studio environment, and the 50mm I use more for walk around shooting. Macro is used for product shots ALOT. Obviously I know upgrading to full frame means ditching my DX lenses which I don't care about.

I have a few weddings booked in the next few months so I want to start investing in some better low light equipment. I also want to get into heavy compositing and such. I was considering picking up the Nikon 24-70mm as it is a great sharp studio and low light lens, and then later on upgrading full frame, but with the current deal on the D600 with kit lens I am tempted to go with the D600 kit lens and upgrading the glass later. Obviously the kit lens on the D600 is not going to be as tack sharp as the 24-70, but the kit lens has VR which would be great for video, the D600 has the audio out which would help a lot on video shoots, it has more MP and better image detail and low noise at higher ISOs which are all great. So my question would be, buy the 24-70 and wait out buying the body for another year, or buy a new body+lens and upgrade the glass later if I need to?

I've tried renting all of this equipment to find what suits me better but my local shop has had everything booked for a long time and the sale at B&H ends Satuday. So if anyone could give me some advice as far as what to upgrade first, I'd greatly appreciate it!

cleardot.gif

I just upgraded to the d600 about a month and a half ago. Its a great camera. I decided to not get the kit lens so I wont comment on that. I also have the 105 macro and it is wonderful on the d600. If you are going to do video I would say that having a vr zoom would be great. Although I almost never shoot video. I would say get it and keep your current setup as a backup. Or what I would be tempted to do is sell the d7000 and dx lenses and then get the 24-70 also forgoing the kit lens.

Just my thoughts,

-Jason

Most reactions

New Topics

Back