Upgrade and Help needed Please :-)

N1kon1k

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys after a lot of saving I finally put my D5100 on the shelf and bought a D750 as for now I only have a kit lens (for the D750) and am looking for a good solid lens thats able to shoot night shots (like Milky way, Street Photography, etc) but also good solid lens in Landscape as well.

you can check my work on Instagram to see what I shoot if it helps name is @johnymat84

Im thinking 17-35mm 2.8 from nikon?

any other suggestions? perhaps cheaper :eyebrows:

Also I have only been doing photography for about 2 years, so dont judge too hard on my page :bouncingsmileys:

I use an older model Tamron 28-75 2.8 without the built-in focus motor myself on a d600. It was dirt cheap but the image quality is very good.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Well you can go for a good reasonably prices prime like Nikon 28mm 1.8G
I would say yes to robbins.photo with the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 but the D750 kit lens is the 24-120mm f4 so I don't see logic to have 2 lenses which cover same focal range.
I assume you might think of a wider lens like you commented about.
I own the Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 II, I really like this lens but its slow so you might go for faster lens, for me its perfect especially considering how much I paid for it.
Nikon 16-35mm f4 is faster but its also more expensive
Nikon 14-24mm 2.8 is great but expensive even more.

Well, you already have the 24-85mm kit lens ? What exactly disqualifies it for street photography ?!?

I would get AF-S 20mm f1.8 or Tamron 15-30mm f2.8 VC for landscape and Milky Way.

I have done Milky Way photographing with the AF-S 28mm f1.8 and well it works but it has a bit of coma.

I would stay away from the AF-S 17-35mm f2.8 D, that lens isnt so great.

I finally put my D5100 on the shelf and bought a D750

Curious on why you went with the D750 vs something like the D7200? I have a D5100 and am thing about upgrading too. I've read a lot about the benefits of FX vs DX buy most of my shots are kids sports and wildlife so I'm not sure its worth the extra money for the D750.

If you want to save some money get the regular 18-35 / 3.5-4.5 AF-S.
It's faster at 18mm than the fixed 18-35/4 .... f/3.5 vs f/4.

I use the even cheaper 18-35/3.5-4.5 AF-D lens for my d600/d750. Since shots of the stars are never "sharp" anyways I figured I'll save the hundreds of dollars. Though it seems to be perfectly fine for when I use it for other uses too. It's not the "best" lens .. but bang for the buck it gets me to 18mm fairly inexpensively and it's small and light.

There's many options. It just depends upon your budget and your short and long term usage of the lens.

I finally put my D5100 on the shelf and bought a D750

Curious on why you went with the D750 vs something like the D7200? I have a D5100 and am thing about upgrading too. I've read a lot about the benefits of FX vs DX buy most of my shots are kids sports and wildlife so I'm not sure its worth the extra money for the D750.
I had a d7000 which is essentially the same sensor as your d5100. I added a d600 years ago. Shooting kids sports the major advantage came in anything but perfect light, especially waning evening light, night or indoor lighting. Also in shooting longer lenses like the Tamron 150-600 which I use at f/8 all the time for sharpness. ISO control is not a problem. I've been wanting to add a d7100 but everytime I get close to pulling the trigger I can't fathom why other than a direct comparison test to my d600/d750 ...

I know it's not as wide as 17mm, etc... but I'm tellin' ya... check out the reviews for the Nikon AF-S 20mm 1.8G. It's awesome!

Depends really. If by kids sports you mean outdoors during the daytime then I'd probably go with the D7200. If you mean kids sports as in indoors, basketball, volleyball, or outdoor football games at night, etc - I'd look at going full frame, though if it were me I'd probably look for a good deal on a used D600 rather than splurging for the D750.

Depends really. If by kids sports you mean outdoors during the daytime then I'd probably go with the D7200. If you mean kids sports as in indoors, basketball, volleyball, or outdoor football games at night, etc - I'd look at going full frame, though if it were me I'd probably look for a good deal on a used D600 rather than splurging for the D750.

Agreed!!! I sold my former DX equipment for the above mentioned. I use my D600 for sports, and it honestly rocks! Indoor games, indeed. Outdoor games when the sun fades and stadium lights go on, the D600 shines.

I'll keep my eyes open for a used D600. I may just keep the d5100 and buy some better lenses. I've been eyeing the 70-200 f/2.8. Either the first VR Nikon or a Tamron.

I'll keep my eyes open for a used D600. I may just keep the d5100 and buy some better lenses. I've been eyeing the 70-200 f/2.8. Either the first VR Nikon or a Tamron.
Well haven't shot the tamron but I can tell you that the nikkor vr I is worth every penny and then some. I picked up a good used copy for $1000 and it is just a phenomenal lens.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

If you're looking for a fast UWA (which you should be, for night-sky photos), the Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 is an excellent one.

Most reactions

Back