Upgrade from Canon Rebel XT or what?

jonw440

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have the Rebel XT D350 with the stock 18-55mm EF lens and a EF 75-300mm lens.
I enjoy all types of photography. I have added Wristwatches to my latest hobby and enjoy macro photography.
I am thinking of upgrading the canon or jumping ship to Nikon
I could use the lenses I have if I stick with canon, but like Nikon brand.
What are your thoughts?

The nice thing about staying with Canon is, you don't have to learn how to operate a new camera. But, if you like Nikon, go for it.

How much are you willing to spend?

Less then $800.

How much are you willing to spend?

This is important because if you really like macro, besides the lens, in body focus stacking is really fantastic. But it is only on Canon's higher end cameras. You indicated an interest in watches. This was shot with an R6 and it was my first experiment with the focus stacking feature. It is more about 20 images stacked in the camera at ever greater focus points. It is magic.

Rolex1-Post-rs.jpg

Here is a shot of a Citizen I own.

Attachments

• IMG_8077.JPG
    IMG_8077.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
Here's another.

Attachments

• IMG_8051.JPG
    IMG_8051.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 78
Here is a shot of a Citizen I own.

Focus stacking will give you front to back in focus depth of field, if that is a desired look. I was always frustrated with macro images that only had a sliver that was in focus even when shot at f22.

I actually misspoke. The camera takes the sequence of images moving the focus from front to back incrementally. Then you actually stack them in Cannon's Digital Photo Professional software. I know other software has this capability as well.

Less then $800.
Then you should consider buying used. And just buy the camera you want the most. It's hard to go wrong.

Here are some examples. Two of them are shot with more expensive camera and lens while one is with an inexpensive entry level camera with the included kit-lens. All are cropped. All shot with one single off camera flash.
DSC_3941-Edit.jpg P1012560.jpg DSC_3954-Edit.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    19.5 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    19.5 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    17.2 KB · Views: 69
A better camera is like a better beer, mostly personal opinion.

In my experience with cameras, telescopes and post processing programs, the time to upgrade is when your present unit cannot be made to readily perform the tasks at hand.

The trick of course, is that one must be careful that the camera is the limiting factor, not the photographer. :) :)

Choosing between popular brands such as Nikon or Canon, the nuances of feel, comfort and ease of use cannot be measured. Some like the comfort of staying with what they know, other like the adventure of a learning a new format.

Good luck and keep us posted.

How is this for an idea?
Pick up a 1:1 lens for close up shots and upgrade the body more recent. Like the Canon T7 or SL3(For view touch screen)

If you like your Canon, why not keep it, and simply get a macro lens. That is what I would do.

While I am a Nikon guy, I am not a fanatic. There is NOTHING wrong with Canon.
Jumping ship to another brand/format is a major decision. I would only do it if, there was a major issue with the camera that I have, or I NEED something that only another brand can give me.
In my case, I switched to Olympus, simply to reduce the weight and bulk of my kit. As I get older and my injuries act up, the weight of my Nikon kit was getting harder and harder to handle.​
Sometimes it is simply emotional. If you LIKE Nikon enough to make the jump, go for it. But you should really think through the emotional reason.
Example I may like Canon or Sony, but neither will give me anything that I don't already have or can have with Nikon. So why change?
Be cautious of the "grass is greener on the other side of the fence."
It isn't always greener. IOW, you may loose something that you take for granted on your Canon. Examples:
  • I have friends who have Sonys and they say the camera is great, but the UI stinks, compared to the cameras they had.
  • For sports/action, the autofocus on non-pro level mirrorless cameras perform poorly compared to even entry level dSLRs.
  • The new mirrorless cameras are nice, but the lenses are $$$$ EXPENSIVE, ouch.
As for focus stacking, that gets complicated. Either camera based as with the R5 that @photoflyer uses, or VERY carefully done by manually turning the focus ring and using software to stack the images. I have not done stacking, yet, so my knowledge of stacking is minimal.

I ended up ordering a Canon T8i with the kit lens. I like the idea of the touch screen to adjust the settings.

I ended up ordering a Canon T8i with the kit lens. I like the idea of the touch screen to adjust the settings.

Jon, glad to see you went with another Canon, they beat the pants off of Nikon and Sony anyways!!! LoL
Have fun with your new camera!!!
John

Most reactions

Back