Upgrade from D60??

Michiyo-Fir

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What would be a good upgrade for the D60?

I LOVE my D60 since it's super lightweight and easy to carry but I have a couple of issues with it.

1. my biggest problem is the 3 point auto focus! 3 points is really very very little so many of my images need a lot of cropping since I can't get the subject in the exact same position I like and use the AF.

2. After about ISO 800 it gets terribly grainy. Also I would like maybe ISO 3200 or 6400 as the max.

3. no live view or video.

I was looking at a D5000 since it uses a CMOS sensor yet has a similar sized body as a D60. Not sure if I should go for a D90. I just find it too big and heavy since I'm a girl and usually when I go take photos I'm holding a dog leash + a bunch of dog stuff.

Would a D90 be a better deal?

I've had the D60, D5000 and D90 so here's my take for what it's worth.

If you LOVE the D60 and the only thing limiting you are the ISO and focal points, get yourself the D5000 and enjoy it! I loved it and had a hard time decided to keep the D5000 or D90 (had both at the same time, ended up with the D300s).

Anyway, the D5000 and D90 are both great cameras and if you don't think you'll appreciate the top LCD or built in focus motor of the D90 I don't think you'll ever regret the D5000 puchase, very fun camera that has some things the D90 doesn't offer.

Your not gonna notice a big difference with the d5000. The d90 is a great camera. One of the major benefits is that you can use lenses that arent AFS and get AF

yes it would! well at least to me...

why? well, you get the focus motor. lets you use a LOT more lenses... the d5000 still lacks that motor, so you're stuck with Nikon AF-S, Sigma HSM, Tamron's Built In Motor... while sometimes those lenses are great, they're also usually more expensive than normal AF lenses...

i'm not too familiar with the d90 and d5000, so i'll let someone else finish.

The high ISO ability alone is worth the upgrade from the D60 in my opinion, add to that Live View and D-Movie - added bonuses. I don't really think having to use AF-S and similar lenses is much of a limitation these days, initially sure - but now everyone is making them and the price isn't much different than non AF-S lenses. With AF-S (and similar) you also get a quieter, faster focusing lens as well. Still, you can use almost every lens ever made for Nikon. AF-D lenses won't autofocus and older lenses won't meter, but they do work!

Off the top of my head:

AF-S 35mm f/1.8 = $199
AF-D 50mm f/1.8 = $139

AF-S 50mm f/1.4 = $450
AF-D 50mm f/1.4 = $350 (used)

Last edited:
I don't have a big concern with AF-S lenses. I can get them for a really good price.

AF-S 50mm f/1.4 is $360 Canadian + tax for me since I have an employee purchase plan that lets me order from Nikon.

PhotoXopher, do you find the D90 produces better lighted photos on the same settings as D5000? I heard something about that from a friend, not sure if it's true or not.

No, not that I recall. In fact I recall the D5000 did a little better job with some difficult lighting conditions than the D90, but I can't say for sure one way or the other.

I personally chose the D90 over the D5000 just because I did miss the wireless commander mode for off camera flash and sometimes wished I had the top LCD when shooting the D5000, but that was a small nitpick. D90 also felt a little more solid, but I have big hands so that could have something to do with it as well.

It's a really tough call, each offers something unique - but again, based on your needs and what you wrote I'd lean toward the D5000 and spend the extra on a lens.

Speaking of which, I may have to talk you in to getting me one :lol:

i had the d60 and upgraded to the d90. the price difference from the d5000 to a used d90 was not that big, got a used d90 with 600 shots. main reason why i upgraded was the lack of focus motor, commander mode and the 3 point ofcus on the d60,
d5000 didnt had the motor or the commander so it was not an options for me.

i love my d90!

i was debating between the d90 and a d300 but i found that d90 so cheap i had to get it.

While for my purposes, a D5000 would never cut it, for you I think it might actually be better than a D90. It sounds like you just want a high quality camera for taking snapshots and such and don't plan to get huge into the hobby...??..? If that's correct, D5000 for sure. Things like the lack of commander mode, dedicated buttons for settings, built in motor, etc... which are a deal breaker for me and so many others, probably won't matter as much to you.

As for lenses, yes you can't focus anything without a built in motor....however, things have changed in the past few years. THere are still a plethora of awesome lenses available with a BIM that are not horribly expensive. The Tamron 17-50 f2.8 has a later version with a BIM and you can find them used in the $300-$350 range. THe 35mm f1.8 I believe has AF-S and will focus and it is only about $200 new. Even cheaper lenses like the Sigma 70-300 APO at $209 has a built in motor now.

Fact is that, 2-3 years ago (or however long it was) when nikon stopped including motors in their lower end bodies, it sucked hardcore. Now though, most everybody has stepped up to put motors in their lenses and unless you plan to buy some older lenses, that won't matter...there's still plenty of good choices out there for autofocusing lenses at a decent price.

While for my purposes, a D5000 would never cut it, for you I think it might actually be better than a D90. It sounds like you just want a high quality camera for taking snapshots and such and don't plan to get huge into the hobby...??..? If that's correct, D5000 for sure. Things like the lack of commander mode, dedicated buttons for settings, built in motor, etc... which are a deal breaker for me and so many others, probably won't matter as much to you.

It's not that my hobby isn't serious, it's just that I don't have enough money LOL. I mainly do dog photos, some wildlife, some portrait and little scenery. I do plan on taking some lessons and going a step further in the future though. The size of the D90 is really really a huge no-no for me. It's so big, clunky and heavy. Even a D60 + 18-200mm lens around my neck really hurts my neck. I think my head would fall off if I were hiking with a D90! The D5000 while still heavier than a D60 is smaller and easier to handle for me.

Honestly, i don't know how to use commander mode. I may get into it in the future but right now I don't even own an external flash.

It's also a waste that the D90 uses a different battery since I already have 2 D60 batteries that would work with the D5000.

ahh.....this is so difficult to decide. However, my grandfather will be getting a D90 in the summer so I might just wait until I try his camera before I replace my D60.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

It's so big, clunky and heavy. Even a D60 + 18-200mm lens around my neck really hurts my neck. I think my head would fall off if I were hiking with a D90!

I go hiking with my dog with a D90 and my 70-200......however, I use a blackrapid strap so that weight is NOT on my neck. Give one a try if the wear and tear on your neck is really a big issue.

I went from the D60 to the D90, and it has turned out to be an awesome decision.

From what I have read here, it seems as though the D5000 would perfectly suit your needs. I would say that body with something like a little 50mm f/1.8 and you would be good.

I have hiked 14miles back into the woods with 55lbs on my back, holding my camera bag with the D90, 18-105mm, 55-200mm, and gorilla pod; in my hand. It's NOT that heavy, I mean unless you are a smurf.

Wow you guys can carry a lot of weight! I personally don't like using a camera bag because it's a hassle to take everything out, put it together, put away lens caps, etc while trying to manage my dog without getting into a gigantic tangled mess.

I'm actually using a pretty heavy lens 18-200mm VRII on my D60 so I'll probably be using the same one any new camera I buy plus a 50mm f/1.4 as a 2nd lens. But I'm thinking unless it's a very short trip I usually won't bring a second lens unless I know I will need it.

Thanks for all the comments and recommendations. I think I will give both cameras a test period (borrow from my friend, grandfather) and see which I like more.

Most reactions

Back