Upgrade from nikon 18-140mm lens

Hi,
I have nikon D3200 dslr with nikon 18-140mm lens , can I get 55-300mm lens for more zoom? Will it worth or any other lens can I buy? Need it suggestions as am confused...

If you want upgrade then you should consider less "zoom" rather than more of it. The longer the zoom range the more compromise in image quality.

I don't think the D3200 will work with AF-P lenses. You need an AF-S lens. The Nikkor AF-S 55-300 mm DX was a kit lens for that camera and works well with it. Look around and you should be able to find one for around $250. Adarama even has a refurbished one for $179.95.

Nikon 55-300mm Refurbished

Unless you aspire to be a pro or print billboards, it should work fine.

Be very careful with the current 70-300 DX lenses. I don't think they will auto focus with your camera and the cheap ones do not have Vibration Reduction.

Last edited:
Can I use an AF-P lens with my DSLR camera?
AF-P lenses use the latest Stepping Motor technology to move the lens focus quickly and quietly making this type of lens ideal for shooting movies as well as still images. "P" in the name AF-P is derived from the pulse which drives the motor. The ability to change focus settings in the camera menu, rather than the switches on the lens barrel, offers photographers a more intuitive way to shoot.

The first AF-P lens was introduced in January 2016, as a result the number of cameras with menu items to allow control of AF-P lenses is currently limited. Some cameras require a firmware upgrade as identified below.

Digital SLR cameras which have no restrictions with AF-P lenses
D500
D850
D3400
D5500 (be sure the camera firmware has been updated to the latest version)
D5600
D7500

Digital SLR cameras that have some restrictions with AF-P lenses
For further details, select the product and lens combination in the DSLR camera and lens compatibility chart and check the notes.
Df
D5
D600 (be sure the camera firmware has been updated to the latest version)
D610 (be sure the camera firmware has been updated to the latest version)
D750 (be sure the camera firmware has been updated to the latest version)
D810 series
D3300 (be sure the camera firmware has been updated to the latest version)
D5200
D5300 (be sure the camera firmware has been updated to the latest version)
D7100
D7200
Nikon 1 series with the FT1

AF-P lenses do not support other digital SLR or film SLR cameras.

Check out the Tamron 70-300 with VC. Good zoom lens and affordable. Comparable to the Nikon version.

Hi,
I have nikon D3200 dslr with nikon 18-140mm lens , can I get 55-300mm lens for more zoom? Will it worth or any other lens can I buy? Need it suggestions as am confused...
I would recomment getting an AF-S 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 VR from the used market.

The 55-300mm isnt worth it because it has no substantial advantages over the half as expensive 55-200mm.

The 70-300mm on the other hand is dirt cheap on the used market and the lowest tier of Nikkor lenses which have good autofocus performance. Granted, with a D3200 you probably wont notice the difference, but should you ever upgrade, you will already have a lens for shooting sports and action.

the 55-300 was neat cause it could focus really close. but it was like the slowest focusing lens ive ever used.

don't rule out the tamron 70-300 VC.

Hi all..thanks for ur kind replies..my main problem is most of the pictures I took are always blurry or grainy..even without zooming also it is grainy..can’t even see any details in pictures..is any problem with camera or lens? I have attached sample images but when u zoom and c u can’t see anything...so now am mainly using mobile camera bcos of this..it is better than this...

Attachments

• BA24D833-E75C-4CF1-AED9-68A7F64ACC12.jpeg
    BA24D833-E75C-4CF1-AED9-68A7F64ACC12.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 125
  • 327F67AC-DD84-44AC-A225-696466740BBC.jpeg
    327F67AC-DD84-44AC-A225-696466740BBC.jpeg
    321.8 KB · Views: 129
Hi,

First off, WHAT are you shooting that you want "more zoom" for?
The 18-140 lens is a decent lens with a decent zoom range.
But zoom range has to be appropriate for the task. If you are shooting boats on a lake, the 18-140 is likely too short and you need a longer lens.

Hi all..thanks for ur kind replies..my main problem is most of the pictures I took are always blurry or grainy..even without zooming also it is grainy..can’t even see any details in pictures..is any problem with camera or lens? I have attached sample images but when u zoom and c u can’t see anything...so now am mainly using mobile camera bcos of this..it is better than this...

images are too small to really tell, but I think this is 100% user error.

You do NOT zoom as you shoot, so forget zooming.

There is a big difference between "grainy" and "blurry".
- Grainy is camera/ISO related.
- Blurry is either camera movement from you, or lens is not in focus.

What is the ISO, and shutter speed that is recorded for the pix?
- If the ISO is too high, you get noise.
- If the shutter speed is too low, you get camera movement/shake.

What focus option are you using?
Are you CERTAIN that the selected AF point is on what you want to focus on.

Do this test:
  • Set the zoom ring, then don't touch it.
  • Set the camera onto a SOLID surface, so you don't move the camera.
  • Take the pix by pressing SLOWLY on the shutter button.

Most reactions

Back