Upgrade from nikon 18-140mm lens

deepind

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
I have nikon D3200 dslr with nikon 18-140mm lens , can I get 55-300mm lens for more zoom? Will it worth or any other lens can I buy? Need it suggestions as am confused...

You have a great camera. Money is better invested in courses to extend your knowledge. I do shoot on a daily basis for 34 years now and I still feel there is much more what I have to learn than what I already know.

I started my professional career with lesser equipment than you have. Equipment is way overrated.

If you want to open to new experience try a fast prime or even a manual focus prime that throws all electronic functions of your camera out of the window and teaches you to use your sensor as a measuring device and your brain as a calculator.

Does that sound like a plan?

Thank for reply...I use zooming a lot..so what lens Cani buy 70-300 or 55-300?

I gave you a good answer. It was probably unexpected.

In a nutshell: if you want to become a better photographer, take lessons. Buying equipment will not help.

"Zooming a lot" is a style that does not teach you what you need to know to become a better photographer.

Eye
Light
Perspective
Story

These are camera independent but they are the only way to get to better pictures.

Well, you see when I started photography I didn't get why people go for the expensive lenses, why spend the extra money on lenses that didn't seem to do more then the same lenses I already had but where more of a kit lenses.
The 18-140mm is a good lens, really one lens that does it all but personally I would get a faster lens.
For longer zoom there is nothing wrong with 55-300mm or 70-300mm but those are kit lenses as well just like the 18-140mm.

So what would I recommend, the question really is a matter of money and what you plan to do in the future.
If you think that in the future you will go full frame then I say get FX lenses only, if you see yourself staying crop sensor then you can stick to DX lenses.
If you stay DX then I would recommend getting used Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 and Sigma 70-200mm 2.8
If you will move to FX then used Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC and Sigma 70-200mm 2.8

Hi,
I have nikon D3200 dslr with nikon 18-140mm lens , can I get 55-300mm lens for more zoom? Will it worth or any other lens can I buy? Need it suggestions as am confused...
I think Frank hit on some key things to help you. My question is what do want to do with the extra reach?

Personally, I would stay away from a used Sigma lens, chances are pretty good you could get one that doesn't focus accurately, that happened to me.

To answer your questoin directly. The 55-300 lens is meant for a crop sensor Nikon which your camera is. The 70-300 lens is for full frame cameras like D610, D750, D810 etc...

Either lens will work on your camera. The 55-300 will be lighter and smaller than the 70-300. Either lens will give you adequate pictures like your current lens. And give you the longer reach your desiring. If you don't know, your camera is like I said above a crop sensor Nikon. APS-C sensor size. Nikon lenses that are made for crop sensors are called DX lenses. If you plan on staying with your camera for a while, or never plan on upgrading to the more expensive and larger full frame cameras. Stick with the 55-300. By no means is it a pro quality lens. But it is adequate for most budget conscious photographers.

@benhasajeep there are in fact two current 70-300 lenses by Nikon, one is DX and 400€, the other is FX and 850€

Edit: more than two, I count four. But good lenses they are not

Last edited:
FX

AF-P NIKKOR 70–300 mm 1:4,5–5,6E ED VR

AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70–300 mm 1:4,5–5,6G IF-ED

DX

AF-P DX NIKKOR 70–300 mm 1:4,5–6,3 G ED

AF-P DX NIKKOR 70–300 mm 1:4,5–6,3 G ED VR

Last edited:
@benhasajeep there are in fact two current 70-300 lenses by Nikon, one is DX and 400€, the other is FX and 850€

Yes, there are actually 5 available with the new P series and VR / non VR. Didn't want to get too far into it. I should have been more clear about which one's I was talking about. 2 are DX, 3 are FX.

Hi,
I think Frank hit on some key things to help you. My question is what do want to do with the extra reach?

Zooming means cropping without changing the perspective. This is a good thing if your aim is to get something interesting in the frame, but not so much if you want to create an interesting photo

Yes,it will give you more zoom "length", by quite a bit!

Will it worth or any other lens can I buy?

it would not be worth it, if you never used it. Hard for us to decide that for you.

there is plethora of other lens you could buy. :)

Thank for reply...I use zooming a lot..so what lens Cani buy 70-300 or 55-300?
Note: In the interest of full disclosure, I own a 70-300 zoom, and I like it a lot. This might be a good choice for you, although I don't think one lens will satisfy all your desires.

This will no doubt be news to you; zoom lenses have more compromises built into them. Yes, you can get a "super zoom", or you can get a telephoto prime and get better image quality.

Or you can "zoom in crop". Meaning; shoot with what you have, and crop later in editing to produce the frame you wanted but didn't have the reach of a long lens at the time.

FX

AF-P NIKKOR 70–300 mm 1:4,5–5,6E ED VR

AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70–300 mm 1:4,5–5,6G IF-ED

DX

AF-P DX NIKKOR 70–300 mm 1:4,5–6,3 G ED

AF-P DX NIKKOR 70–300 mm 1:4,5–6,3 G ED VR

He may also be looking at the ultra inexpensive AF 70-300 f/4-5.6G! $170

I have not owned or used any of them so can't say their in hand qualities or lack of.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back