Upgrade from Yashica D

Reaction score
Website
barryduggan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently own a Yashica D TLR. While I do enjoy it, I have been considering selling it for a Mamiya 645 Pro TL. I actually owned an m645 years ago and always regretted selling it.

The reason I want to change it is mainly because I would like something more modern, and more choices of lenses, accessories, etc.

My question though is this, I would have to add quite a few hundred extra for the Mamiya, would I notice an increase in image quality?. ( I understand the difference the negative size)

Any advice?, anyone own two similar cameras that can share their experiences?

I have used a Yashica-A (Yashikor lens - 3 element) and also Yashica-MAT (Yashinon lens - 4 element) ... I found them OK in IQ.
My Minolta Autocord and previously owned Ricoh Diacord both took sharper images due to better optics.
The IQ of the TLSR's though do not compare to the images I took with my long gone Bronica SQ-A with Zenzanon-S 80mm (6 element) ... I still miss that camera.

As others have noted, the newer Yashinon lenses are sharper than their predecessors. That stated, I'd go after either the Mamiya 645 1000s, or even the newer 645 Super or Pro TL. I've read of the complaints about the newer Mamiyas, but I've owned two, that have been run hard as wedding cameras, and I never had anything done but routine maintenance. The other camera I would consider is the Bronica SQ series. I use it interchangeably with my Hasselblad 500 C/M, and I wouldn't want to choose between the two.

If you like the functionality of the TLR, you could opt for a Rolleicord or Rolleiflex. Both are great cameras, and the prices are strictly based on condition. The Minolta Autocords are also fine cameras, but the focus levers are suspect, and can be easily broken if the mechanism is a bit stiff.

Most reactions

Back