upgrade lens or upgrade body?

enerlevel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hello all,
i went for a trip recently in which I lost my wallet , therefore I had no choice but to sell a few parts of my camera kit to get some cash. it included
1) Nikon d600
2) Nikon 24-85 VR
3) Nikon sb-800
4) Nikon 50mm f1.4 G
5) Nikon 70-200 VR

I sold the body , flash and the 50mm lens. and got a D7000 along with the extra cash.
now I am back from my vacations and need to upgrade again. question is ...
shall I keep the d7000 and trade the 24-85 VR for a sigma 17-50 f2.8? or shall I again just get a d600 and keep my kit lens?
I do plenty of low light stuff .. and d600 with the kit lens @6400 was good enough for me BUT using the same kit lens with the D7000 is giving me very noisy and weird colour banding images ...

Grab a deal on a used D600, D610 or even a D700. You will miss the low light performance.

yea I compared a few pics from both the cameras , the difference is day and night .. the pic from d7000 @6400 has a weird look to it ... but I was thinking maybe a faster lens could fix that problem...

For lowlight, large sensors and bright primes are your friend.

Laws of physics and sensors mean full frame are better for your needs.

Totally trade the D7000 for a D600/D610...like others have said you will miss the low light performance if you don't upgrade back to a full frame sensor. I can't go back to a D7000...the ISO performance is just night and day..even now..I still forget that I can push the ISO on my D610.

Sorry to hear about your wallet man, it sucks. I wanna put a GPS tracker in my wallet then I can show up at their house and steal their wallet. Hahaha.

If you shot at ISO 100-800 keeping the D7000 might be an option. But, from what you write, you like to shoot at much higher ISO and you need FX for that. You know what the differences are between the 2 bodies, this is a no brainer, get the d610

A D600, with the 28-85mm VR and either the f/2.8 or f/4 70mm-200mm Nikkor VR zoom lens would be a sweet set-up.

I think a lot of people forget the fact that full frame sensors allow for larger pixels/photosites that give you much, much better dynamic range and lower noise at higher ISOs.

thank all for the replies , just did a few search and looks like the prices of second hand d600 has gone up!! or maybe I got a good deal the first time ...
also the prices of d700 has come down now.. what do you guys think about an upgrade to d700? it fits right in my budget and also I am and was never interested in the video functions anyways.

what do you guys think about an upgrade to d700? it fits right in my budget and also I am and was never interested in the video functions anyways.
Lots of people love the D700 but I wouldn't recommend getting it!
Its yesterday technology, things keep moving and a camera that was top of the line few years ago is just not that impressive anymore.
A D610 just beats the D700 in most category (except for sports).
Sensor is just miles away better.
So my advise, keep saving and get a D610 when you have enough money.

Most reactions

Back