upgrade path fromNikon D80 - your finest advice for a new forum member, please!

The 5100 has a similar sensor as the 7000 I believe. The 5100 lacks all the dedicated controls and buttons as the 7000. Pictures quality will still be great with the 5100 as long as you know what you are doing

If you miss the shot while menu diving there won't be any image to compare. I think the 5100 is overpriced. That's why I recommended the D5000 if you're set on a flip screen.

I think my thread title may be a bit misleading.

Apparently so.... TITLE: upgrade path fromNikon D80 - your finest advice for a new forum member, please!

We have indeed tried to give the finest advice.... but since you are apparently really enamored of your little flipscreen... you have chosen to ignore said advice.... wish you well, though!

Have you considered buying a Sony Handycam or something like that? Video on a DSLR sucks. There is a qualifier, video on a DSLR can be great. Unfortunately, you can't afford it. Take a look at this site: Essential DSLR Accessories for Shooting Oscar-Worthy HD Video Note what is recommended and why.

Look, I hate Nikon/Canon/whoever marketing. They tell you there camera shoots video. Then they get House to shoot an episode with it and show you all kinds of great examples. Then the consumer pretends he will be able to get those same results. You can't.

Buying a DSLR on a budget with the express point of doing video is silly.

Oh, well, I guess there are some mistakes that everybody just has to make for themselves.

Good luck to you.

Thanks, MTVision - exactly what I needed to hear. I posted on another forum too and they have mostly agreed that i'll be pleased witht the image quality over the D80.

Kerbouchard - I appreciate the advice you've been given on this thread but I'm not about to start shooting a hollywood blockbuster! I've worked in professional broadcast TV for nearly 30 years and if I want to shoot something professionally I'll source the appropriate equipment. I wouldn't be 'silly' to get a 5100 as you put it because I'm not buying a one with the express purpose of shooting video. It's a handy 'icing on the cake'. The video quality from the 5100 is more than adequate for broadcastable quality clips if needed but it'll certainly be fun to play with between stills....

cgipson - I'm a hobbyist - I shoot because I enjoy it, not to make money or enter competitions. What.... how dare I try to enjoy my photography. I should be a sensible grown-up and get a 7000. My choice of equipment - anyone's choice - should reflect the type of use they are going to put it to. I'll get much more out of 'my little flip screen' and live view. You've made me feel as if I'm on the wrong forum here and I should be on a forum for people who want to play with toys. I'm'enamoured' with my hobby and I'm not not going to be put off by people who belittle me because I don't come up to their own standards. The finest advice i've been given is from people who have addressed my intended purpose and I thank them for that.

Flatflip - you make a couple of worthy points. I'm going to have to consider if speed of set up is an issue for me. At the moment, with the type of things I want to shoot, there is plenty of set up time but I'll think about this for the future. Also interesting you suggest the 5000 for cost. I'll look at the specs on the 5000 but from what I've seen the 5100 is much improved e.g. position of flip screen and image quality.

Between this and the other forum I've now enough info to make a decision. I'm going to take flatfiip's advice and check out the 5000 and then get either that or a 5100 (but I suspect it'll be the 5100). I'm going to keep my D80 for now just in case there are things I can't do with the 5100 that I'll miss. (Please don't tell cgipson - can't bear the thought of his disapproval.)

Thanks for a lively debate everyone!

Let me add to the confusions. I don't think there is any upgrade between d80, d5000, d5100 but d90 very little. So if it is just about video, get a cam recorder. If you really want an upgrade, you just have to go to the next level. The semi pro or even the FX range in order to feel the different. Otherwise, if your D80 is serving you well, continue and get a video cam.

Flatflip - you make a couple of worthy points. I'm going to have to consider if speed of set up is an issue for me. At the moment, with the type of things I want to shoot, there is plenty of set up time but I'll think about this for the future. Also interesting you suggest the 5000 for cost. I'll look at the specs on the 5000 but from what I've seen the 5100 is much improved e.g. position of flip screen and image quality.

Thanks for a lively debate everyone!

Merlin, Thanks for the humble reply. Now looking at your first and last post, I must apologize. I recommended the D5000 for it's IQ, flip screen and price. However, it does not auto-focus in video. Also, if you think the new position of the flip screen is better, you may be right. Sorry I forgot to consider these points.

no problem, thanks for taking the time to come back to me - it's always worth considering alternatives.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back