Upgrade thoughts

RDenhardt

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys!
I am beginning to think about purchasing some new glass to with my D3200, at my current level I know that the camera is not what is holding me back and im fine with that, ive only been at this about 18 months. My problem is that I do plan to go full frame within the next 12 months, and don't want to spend money on glass that will be wasted later on. While I know the DX glass will work I have heard it can be weird on some lenses where at both ends of the focal lengths you get some black on a full frame body. I plan to eventually upgrade to a D750 or a D810 and call it good at that point as its really just a hobby. Any insight? I also don't want to buy full frame glass that has not focal motor making it useless on my 3200...

Thanks guys

The 85mm 1.8g is one of the sharpest lenses Nikon makes and it is a blast to use if you like primes. It works well on both my d3200 and my d750 (so far). Plus, it's really cheap compared to most FF glass.

Good to Brick,

I will also add in that I really only shoot sports(mostly motocross) and landscape/cityscape. Im not against other stuff by any means but this makes up 95% of my shooting with 85% of that being sports.

As with all gear questions, the answer is budget dependent, but if you're doing that much sports & motocross, it might be worth looking into the 70-200 2.8; the VRI can now be found for <$1000, and is a fantastic lens for short-range tele work.

As with all gear questions, the answer is budget dependent, but if you're doing that much sports & motocross, it might be worth looking into the 70-200 2.8; the VRI can now be found for <$1000, and is a fantastic lens for short-range tele work.
The 70-200 2.8 is exactly what my plan was for my next lens. I have seen them get cheaper and am hoping one pops up on the local craigslist so I can snatch it up even cheaper. Will the autofocus work with my d3200?

The 70-200 2.8 is exactly what my plan was for my next lens. I have seen them get cheaper and am hoping one pops up on the local craigslist so I can snatch it up even cheaper. Will the autofocus work with my d3200?
Yes, it's an AF-S lens.

upgrading to FX can be very expensive... if you ready to invest alot in gears or you are a rich guy, then you can buy the whole set of the Holy trinity, they are the best nikon has to offer. if you on a budget and need FX lens, i would go for
1) 50mm F1.8 G
2) Nikon 24-85 VR
3) 70-300 VR.

they will work with your D3xxx camera as well as get your ready for your next FX upgrade.

at the moment i have 35mm f2 D lens and that has been more than enough for me.. but it doesnth ave a built in motor so might not work with your D3xxx series.

D610, D750, DF, and D810 are al excellent options. I agree you should only upgrade your body after you have a good FX lens collection. Here some ideas.

Some primes delivering top-end IQ for lower price tags:
  • Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 14mm f/2.8 ED IF AS UMC manual focus w/chip
  • Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 24mm f/1.4 ED IF AS UMC manual focus w/chip
  • Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 35mm f/1.4 ED IF AS UMC manual focus w/chip
  • Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8D
  • Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.8G
  • Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.4D
  • Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4G
  • Nikkor AF-S 85mm f/1.8G
  • Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 85mm f/1.4 ED IF AS UMC manual focus w/chip
  • Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Macro 1:1
  • Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro 1:1
  • Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 135mm f/2 ED IF AS UMC manual focus w/chip
Some zooms delivering top-end IQ for lower price tags:
  • Nikkor AF-S 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED
  • Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD
  • Nikkor AF-S 24-120mm f/4G ED VR
  • Nikkor AF 35-70mm f/2.8D
  • Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD
  • Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
  • Nikkor AF 80-200mm f/2.8D ED
  • Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I will either buy the Tamron SP 70-200 or a used Nikon VRII 70-200 when the time is right. I will be going down to the local shop and seeing what he has for used glass and ultimately make a decision.

I am also looking forward to purchasing a tamron 10-24 that ive had my eye on for about a year. I think both of these pieces will go well on any camera and work extremely well for what I like to do

Most reactions

Back