Don Kondra

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
donkondra.weebly.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Greetings,

In an on going attempt to clean up the clutter around my shooting table I decided to purchase a wall mounted boom arm and eliminate my existing boom arm/rolling light stand.

Trouble is, I don't have any wall space to mount it ;)

No problem says I, I'll build a removeable folding "wall" that will attach to my shooting table (my work bench :mrgreen:).

Then I thought, heck. Why not two arms and eliminate two light stands when not using a boom ?

I decided 4' wide would also allow me to position my lights from the sides, I still need to use an offset arm on the end of the boom to accomodate positioning softboxes.

The "wall" is a torsion box made of a grid of maple screwed and glued to 1/2" baltic birch plywood on both sides. This results in a very rigid and relatively light panel. A smaller panel is clamped to my bench, hinged to the larger panel and chains support the upright. It can be removed and folded for storage. The booms themselves attach with bolts and wing nuts.

This is the existing paper backdrop stand with the two new booms.

Boomarms_zpsde86a51f.jpg

The interior grid for the torsion box.

Boxframe_zps6ecd84ce.jpg

Back view.

Backview_zps66a924f9.jpg

Side view.

Sideview_zps914b3192.jpg

Three quarter side view.

Threequarterview_zps1da250f7.jpg

Front left view.

Frontleftview_zpsc55fbc3d.jpg

Front view.

Frontview_zpsea37f9ad.jpg

Just need to attach my 36" wide seamless and I should be good to go...

BTW, from the wall to flash tube is 6'.

Cheers, Don

Nice woodwork there. Do you have it permanently bolted to the workbench or does it clamp in place? If t just clamps you've got an "on the go" still life set up, just add a table. :)

I wish the walls I built in my kitchen looked that good! :( Fantastic work Don, as always!

Nice woodwork there. Do you have it permanently bolted to the workbench or does it clamp in place? If t just clamps you've got an "on the go" still life set up, just add a table. :)

From that 3rd photo, it seems to be clamped to the bench.

I thought i heard something go boom in the night! Musta' been you, making this post! Nifty idea, nice execution.

Thanks for the comments everyone and the laughs !

Paper is hung and ready to work. Now the only tripping hazards are my dogs toys :mrgreen:

Finalsetup_zpsaa7e0875.jpg

A very quick test shot with the lights in the above positions...

Ripstop_zps137e2b67.jpg

Cheers, Don

Most reactions

Back