Upgrade to CS4?

jbushee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.usfalls.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have found it annoying that I need to resize a photo before using the Save to Web applet in CS3 to avoid the nag message about the large file size.

I had heard somewhere that CS4 supports much larger file sizes, but didn't see any reference to that in the specs.

Anyone know if that's the case or not?

Do you lot over there get this program free with a box of twinkies or just have too much cash to waste, seriously, before upgrading, can you use the program to its potential, if not, then why upgrade, are you really too lazy to resize a shot so its fit for web and useless to thieves, set up a batch action to resize for you if that's the case.

I havent and dont intend to upgrade again, from CS1, it does all that's required, and the large file handling part probably refers to xxx mb files, not its ability to fanny around with your beebomeebofacebook 300k image. H

Do you lot over there get this program free with a box of twinkies or just have too much cash to waste, seriously, before upgrading, can you use the program to its potential, if not, then why upgrade, are you really too lazy to resize a shot so its fit for web and useless to thieves, set up a batch action to resize for you if that's the case.

I havent and dont intend to upgrade again, from CS1, it does all that's required, and the large file handling part probably refers to xxx mb files, not its ability to fanny around with your beebomeebofacebook 300k image. H

So that's a "no" you don't know the answer to my question?

Thanks for your unsolicited barb though!

Well, I just got CS4 Extended and I personally didn't find much of a notice between CS3 & CS4.

The real main differences I noticed was a much nicer and smoother interface, a few nice new features (There is probably tons more I have not found yet!) And 3D modeling. I personally find the 3D modeling USELESS. It comes with about 10 models to convert a layer into 3D shape. (Eg. Cube, Cylinder, Donut etc.) I dunno, if you want to pay a bit extra for this, then by all means.

I would just say to get it from certain sources available on the internet....

CS4 has the same warning.

Normally when you deal with images for the Web you would want to work with a smaller copy of the image before "Saving for Web"

Well, I just got CS4 Extended and I personally didn't find much of a notice between CS3 & CS4.

The real main differences I noticed was a much nicer and smoother interface, a few nice new features (There is probably tons more I have not found yet!) And 3D modeling. I personally find the 3D modeling USELESS. It comes with about 10 models to convert a layer into 3D shape. (Eg. Cube, Cylinder, Donut etc.) I dunno, if you want to pay a bit extra for this, then by all means.

One new addition I'm looking forward to is the 360 photomerge. Used some third party tools for this before.

I currently don't have Extended, and think that Stacks might come in handy too...

CS4 has the same warning.

Normally when you deal with images for the Web you would want to work with a smaller copy of the image before "Saving for Web"

but can be dealt with. Does it behave better with large files? On files approaching 100mb, CS3 gets real boggy, and somewhere I'd read that CS4 was designed with large files in mind.

I would just say to get it from certain sources available on the internet....

Are you recommending illegal sources? Not a good idea.

To the OP: you can buy a 30 day trial version of CS4 from Adobe for $10.99. (click) That way you can use it and decide for yourself if it is worth upgrading.

i recently "attended" a webinar covering whats new in CS4, andto be honest, i was a bit disappointed...it seems many of the "improvements" are things that seem geared to the general public. please dont get me wrong, im not meaning to come off high and mighty (though thats how it may seem), but one example of this is the automatic color pallette generator...what?! really?! now we just need to pick a color in the client logo, and it will suggest 400 billion popular color schemes based on that color? ugh. what happened to taking a color theory course. sorry for the vent, i just hate to see little facets of my job get handed off to the almighty machine. (though i guess that's what technology is, and i should embrace it.)

im not upgrading. :D

i totally neglected to shed any light on the "nag" message...
it's not so much a photoshop "handling" issue as it is a "this is large for the web" reminder. any version of photoshop will be able to handle a large image, but if you're trying to save a 300dpi photo that's 18" wide to the WEB...that message is a gentle reminder that A. the interwebs are 72dpi, and B. a photo of that dimension is going to take time to upload, use bandwidth on the user-end, and juuuuust might be larger than necessary.
photoshop doesnt mean to nag...it's just alerting you that you might be doing something that's overkill for the web.
photoshop is your friend.
give it a hug.
don't you feel better?:D

Last edited:
but can be dealt with. Does it behave better with large files? On files approaching 100mb, CS3 gets real boggy, and somewhere I'd read that CS4 was designed with large files in mind.

I create Gigapans, CS4 has no problem creating and handling 500MB and larger panoramic images on my e-Machine with 3GB Ram.

Most reactions

Back