upgrade to d90?

photosoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
I have used a d40 for about three years now. It has done its job and been good to learn with but I am going to be upgrading... I have read multiple reviews on camera vs camera, but I would like some fresh opinions specifically for what I would be using the camera for. I basically do outdoor stuff and play around with flash photography. I have been looking at the d90 for months now but have also considered the d7000 and briefly looked over others like the d300 and d200; I really feel like the d90 is a great camera for the money but is it worth saving up more for the d7000? I am wanting to upgrade because I feel I have been limited by low light performance, no exposure bracketing and somewhat limited on making larger/cropped prints. I know the specs on the d7000 are a bit better than the d90 in almost every way but in correlation to the price difference is it worth it? Currently I only have to lenses, a 18-55 and a 70-300VR nikon... thanks

I would recommend waiting a little while. I have been considering purchasing a D7000 but the fact that they are hard to find right now, as well as Nikon introducing the new D4, tells me that there are some new bodies coming down the pipe. There have been lots of rumors of the D800 and I've seen some regarding a new D400. I'm not sure what is going to come along but I have a feeling that something is. I'm going to wait a bit and see what happens.

I haven't shot with them but they say the d7000 is 1/2 stop better In low light than the d90. They are both better than the d40. How big are the prints you want? What lenses are you using? I've gotten 11x 13 prints out of a d40 that was cropped some and it looks awesome. I have a d40 that I still use every now and then. The ability to sync to its maximum shutter speed with a flash at full power makes it useful outdoors. Either the d90 or 7000 will do good.

I haven't shot with them but they say the d7000 is 1/2 stop better In low light than the d90. They are both better than the d40. How big are the prints you want? What lenses are you using? I've gotten 11x 13 prints out of a d40 that was cropped some and it looks awesome. I have a d40 that I still use every now and then. The ability to sync to its maximum shutter speed with a flash at full power makes it useful outdoors. Either the d90 or 7000 will do good.

True, my d40 can make nice larger prints... its also capable of turning out decent photos in low light but just does not have 'ample' ability to do so. Currently I only have the 18-55 and 70-300vr which I just got for Christmas. I still wanna keep the d40 as a back up and as you mentioned the max sync speed of 1/500 is nice.

photosoto said:
True, my d40 can make nice larger prints... its also capable of turning out decent photos in low light but just does not have 'ample' ability to do so. Currently I only have the 18-55 and 70-300vr which I just got for Christmas. I still wanna keep the d40 as a back up and as you mentioned the max sync speed of 1/500 is nice.

Those lenses aren't great at low light unless you use a flash. Try something 2.8 and under. Two inexpensive lenses are the 35 1.8 and the 50 1.8g. Those will do you good. If you use the d90 with those lenses you will still have the same issue in low light. It will be better since the d90 is better but the lens will limit you.
Btw If you use a wireless set up that's capable, or a manual flash, you can sync higher than 1/500s. I've gone up to 1/2000s. 1/1000s full power flash too. The d90 is nice but I'd suggest a couple more lenses first and learn before another camera.

photosoto said:

Those lenses aren't great at low light unless you use a flash. Try something 2.8 and under. Two inexpensive lenses are the 35 1.8 and the 50 1.8g. Those will do you good. If you use the d90 with those lenses you will still have the same issue in low light. It will be better since the d90 is better but the lens will limit you.
Btw If you use a wireless set up that's capable, or a manual flash, you can sync higher than 1/500s. I've gone up to 1/2000s. 1/1000s full power flash too. The d90 is nice but I'd suggest a couple more lenses first and learn before another camera.

ok I will check out those lenses. I will probably not have loads of money to spend on lens or body upgrade any time soon so I thought that maybe starting with a body upgrade as my base and then adding lenses if needed afterward especially since the d40 requires internal focusing lenses. I hate to buy much glass for a lower level camera. Thanks for the input.

photosoto said:
ok I will check out those lenses. I will probably not have loads of money to spend on lens or body upgrade any time soon so I thought that maybe starting with a body upgrade as my base and then adding lenses if needed afterward especially since the d40 requires internal focusing lenses. I hate to buy much glass for a lower level camera. Thanks for the input.

Nikonusa has the 50 for 200 refurbed and you can grab the 35 for under 2 hundred.

Most reactions

Back