Upgrade to Windows 10?

It has to do with the new key generated on the upgrade, I think. Something I read on the site when downloading the iso. Anyway, I did the upgrade, used a small program that found the new key, then entered that on the screen during clean install. Worked fine.

ETA: it was the Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder lol!!

KeyFinder Magical Jelly Bean

I am running Windows 8.1 Pro. Do you tech savvy members think that Win 10 home is an upgrade to 8.1 Pro? Unfortunately I am not being offered the professional version for free. Thanks for the help and insight!

I've upgraded. Seems ok, time will tell. Never liked 8 much

I've been really happy with Windows 10 so far! I also decided to upgrade from Lightroom 5.7 to Adobe CC! With my Flickr pro account I was able to get Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC for $7.99 a month. Not bad.

The upgrade went smooth and I've had no problems so far. I didn't mind 8 that much, once I got used to the new interface.

I'm guessing I'll go ahead and update to Windows 10 while I have a fresh slate.

I just built a custom PC with 8.1 last weekend and it offered me the Windows 10 update and I told it "not yet" because I wanted to make sure the compatibility with the Adobe CC apps was ok. So far so good for everyone here?

Should I uninstall the Adobe applications and reinstall after upgrading? I haven't transferred any of my photos or libraries onto the new computer yet from my external hard drive.

If something doesn't seem to run properly, just right click the executable and run the compatibility test. You can then select which previous flavor of Windows to run that application in.

When I upgraded, my GPU drivers no longer worked, could not be uninstalled, and the Windows 10 drivers from nvidia refused to install.

The Device Manager installed the drivers just fine. But this was a pretty annoying glitch, and I wish that Windows 8.1 uninstalled them when Windows 10 was upgraded, as it had with some other incompatable applications.

Also, Windows Update could not upgrade to Windows 10. I had to download the upgrade separately.

Aside from that, I'm no more partial to Windows 10 than Windows 8.1. It seems to startup and wake up equally fast. The GUI is a bit better - especially if you're one of those weenies who couldn't cope without a start menu - which seems to be the biggest complaint about 8.1 - I personally never really had an opinion of teh OS one way or another.

Software performance feels about the same. I don't use Cortana or whatever she's called (I don't even have a microphone) so I can't say much about all the bells and whistles.

We'll see in the long run if the issues I did have with Windows 8.1, in particular with updates, have been resolved.

Last edited:
So far, it works, and now my Photoshop is working again, so I'm happy so far.

Fixing to (yeah, I know) upgrade the laptop. Been all afternoon upgrading my drone firmware, remote controllers and batteries. Coming to spy on all of you very soon.

Coming to spy on all of you very soon.
Good luck - I'm surrounded by US Parks. ;)

I have to adjust the Notifications thresholds. It's telling me stuff I know and and don't consider an issue. I had to deactivate the Samsung notifier because of a perceived glitch in the Intel video driver.

Win 10 converted Ok for Photoshop and Lightroom (so far) but the new Internet Browser (Edge) has no right click menu with a Back button. Dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Anyone here with Windows 10 having problems with video cards not working? I have seen some people complain of this in other forums.

Most reactions

Back