Upgrades: WWYD?

bullock1692

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, everybody. I'm itching to upgrade my gear, but I'm not sure how to best spend the money.

I'm currently on a crop-frame prosumer (D5100), so I'd love to upgrade to FF for the wider FOV and better noise-performance on higher ISOs. I have my eyes on a refurb'd D600 because I don't see any use in upgrading to a D7000/7100 since it's crop frame...If I'm gonna spend the money, I might as well go FF.

The most interesting caveat is the fact that my lenses are all old Nikkor AIs–circa 1970s. In other words, they're all fully-manual. I have a 35, 50, 85, and 105 (can't remember apertures off the top of my head, but they're all pretty low); I'm not really missing much in terms of focal length.

So, PhotoForumers, what would you do? Do you think I'm better off investing in a D600 and using my old lenses? Or should I get more life out of the D5100 and invest in newer lenses with autofocus? I mostly shoot nature, landscapes, and the occasional event requiring faster lenses.

I JUST bought a refurb'd D600 on Monday to replace my D5100, but I had to think long and hard about the D7100. There's still things about it that are better than the D600.

Both can handle your old lenses, so it's really a matter of if you really want the benefit of the FF sensor of the D600 over the extra benefits/features of the D7100 (e.g. 51 point focus, Auto-FP sync, 1/8000sec, etc.)

I wouldn't consider the d5100 prosumer.

I JUST bought a refurb'd D600 on Monday to replace my D5100, but I had to think long and hard about the D7100. There's still things about it that are better than the D600.

Both can handle your old lenses, so it's really a matter of if you really want the benefit of the FF sensor of the D600 over the extra benefits/features of the D7100 (e.g. 51 point focus, Auto-FP sync, 1/8000sec, etc.)

I wouldn't consider the d5100 prosumer.

Braineack, I've actually been scouring your thread for a few days mulling over everything...it's still open in my browser, haha.

I guess I'm most curious about the quality of my old lenses versus newer lenses...If old lenses truly render great images, then I have no use for the 51 point focus since I'm using fully-manual. However, if newer lenses make a significant difference in terms of quality, then it seems that's where I should go right now and wait to upgrade the body. Yeah?

I wouldn't get hung up on the FF vs. Crop issue. You can use a crop for ages before reaching the limit. Plus unless you are very wealthy lenses are very expensive for FF.

For the money you'd spend on a FF body and single lens you could have a very good crop body and a gaggle of lenses.

As someone who upgraded from a D5100 to a D7000, I'd tell you not to underestimate that option (and the D7100 would be even better!). I can tell you that, unless Nikon introduces something new in the next year, my next upgrade will be from the D7000 to the D7100, not to full frame, even though I *have* started doing some portrait work. But I mainly shoot birds and other wildlife, and stuff like macros and abstracts, so for the most part, I just don't really need a FF.

Nobody else can tell YOU what you you should do here. Some people just want a FF body, and if you can afford that, and want it--go for it. But I don't really see anything on your list of what you tend to shoot that just begs for FF. If I were you, I'd invest in better glass, and if I just had to change camera bodies, it would be to a D7K or D7100.

Right on Sharon. FF is way over hyped and seems to be a lot of folks' "Magic bullet" for better photography.

I also do not buy into the whole full frame magic wand either.. but since you have a collection of older mf lenses, the sensor is more foregiving as it has a lower pixel density.. also the bigger viewfinder might be friendlier on MF lenses..

Last edited:
The 35/50/85/105 lenses from Nikon in the Ai and AI-S era are models I am intimately familiar with, and I have owned multiple examples of each and every one of them for almost 30 years now. You might find it challenging to focus a 35mm manual focus lens with good hit rate on a D600 or D610, but as you go up in focal length, manually focusing those lengths gets easier.

My feeling is that primes in the 24/35/50/85/105/135/200 lengths are much more easily-used on FX than on DX. For example, a 50mm on DX indoors is kind of a PITA unless the "indoors" is a big room; but on an FX camera, 50mm indoors is useful in a lot of homes. Same with 85mm; on DX, you need to be 34 feet away to shoot a head-to-toe shot of a 6 foot person, and have some headspace and footspace; on an FX camera, with the SAME 85mm lens, you can take the same field of view, but from only 20 FEET away.

I would upgrade the 35mm lens to an autofocus model as soon as you can. Go with the 35/2 AF-D.

If you're a portrait photographer ff is really nice due to its shallower dof. But ff can be a liability if you shoot wildlife or sports.

One thing to consider is that higher end crop sensor cameras like the d7100 will meter with your old lenses letting u use aperture priority mode.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back