Upgrading 6 mp to 10 mp, A big Deal?

Thanks for posting this experiment fmw, its useful for me because i was thinking of getting a D80...
Is it just me...or is no one else seeing this... ignore the extreme crop for a minute... looking at the manual switch on the left side of the lens... the D80 seems ALOT better resolution to me in the text and the thin line that goes around it... and i know, if i started to edit this image in ps, i'd loose even more detail in the D50 shot.

Its tricky to analize a camera just from an extreme crop... your always going to get more noise in blocked colour areas.... i would be tempted to go outside and shoot a bunch of buildings or houses with the same set up on each... then zoom in to see what the detail is like.... ;)

I did notice it, Archangel. I wasn't sure if it was resolution or whether the two cameras focused the lens a little differently (I used AF hoping it would be more consistent) or whether I had the angle just slightly off. I actually hand held the cameras, resting the lens on the hole in the tent right behind the hood. It was a way of getting pretty similar camera placement for the various shots. I don't have the answer but there is no doubt the A/M switch on the lens shot with the D80 is better.

I'll definitely be taking all kinds of images with both cameras. This was just a test I made right after unpackaging the D80 to see what the resolution bought me.

benhasajeep said:
My wife enjoys the d-50. Hard for me to get my hands on it. Not that I am stuck with the Canon 20D. Just I have better glass for the Nikon. And somehow inbetween dating and marriage the D-50 I bought and paid for before we were married and all the 2.8 lenses have somehow now become hers???

I'd say she's a smart woman, Ben. She apparently has your number. ;)

This is a perfect example of why I tell people that glass is a far more important factor than megapixels. Unfortunately, the advertising sector has made people think megapixels are king, when in all actuality, they're probably the last factor they should be looking at. A friend of mine bought himself a 9MP Fuji S9000 P&S, and he simply can't understand why the images I take with my Maxxum 5D (a mere 6.1mp) are so much better.

For a short while, I considered "upgrading" from my 5D to an ά100, but from what I've seen so far, it's not really an upgrade. It appears as if the 5D has better noise control at high ISO (critical for concert photography). The only features I wish the 5D had that the ά100 does are improved continuous shooting, slightly more accessible functions (a la the 7D) and Dynamic Range Optimization, which isn't even useable in the ISO range I normally shoot in. All in all, not much of a bargain for me. I think I'l stick with my 5D, TYVM.

One thing I will give Sony, though. They're coming out with some EXTREMELY nice lenses for the A mount. I'm drooling over some of the Carl Zeiss lenses just over the horizon. 135mm f/1.8 Carl Zeiss Sonnar *T lens? Where do I sign?

Most reactions

Back