Is Sony A7R ii vs Panasonic GH5/Sony A6500 worth more ?

• Yes, it is

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No, it is not

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It depends

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TomLu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everybody,

past days (maybe weeks) I have been researching into which camera I should buy. I have just Canon EOS 600D and I need to step up.

I shoot a lot of still photography, product photography, portraits and I am getting into weddings and celebrations. Big part of my work goes into video production, mainly in a controlled environment like with green screen or real estate photo/video.

So far I came up with three options: Sony A7R II, Sony a6500 and Panasonic GH5.

I have budget up to 2500$ but I am willing to pay more for the Sony A7R II, but a lot of comparisons online shows big capabilities of other two cameras.

My personal favorite is A7R ii so far, because I like the idea of having a full frame sensor, nice low light performance, additional MP (gives me more options in post and cropping etc.). I could work around poor battery life...

As I mentioned before, I am between of buying a cheaper camera (a6500/gh5 and getting a couple of more lenses or to get A7R ii and just kit lens - for beginning). The main question is if A7R ii is worth more money since SOME results I saw online in still photography and mainly video results are very close, if not better on gh5 and a6500).

Any ideas and personal recommendations are very welcome :)

Thank you

No!
Weddings you want APS-C or preferably FF sensor size camera so the Panasonic with its MFT sensor in my view is not a good idea unless you do ONLY video!
I own Sony a6300 and Sony system can work for weddings but has one BIG problem only 1 SD card, this means NO backing up capabilities like my Nikon D750.
Another problem with Sony especially the A7 FF cameras is the lenses they are INSANLY expensive, remember you are not buying a camera, you are buying a camera system. So I don't think the A7 or a6500 are the right cameras to do pro work due to the ONE SD card, the only Sony that has 2 SD cards is the A9 which is 4500$, to that add the 24-70mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8 and for at least one fast prime lets say 50mm 1.8 and you are looking at an investment of over 10000$
On the other hand you can get a Nikon D610 which is FF camera and has 2 SD cards for around 1600$ or Nikon D750 for around 1800$ new or less for refurbished or used, to that you add Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC and Tamron 70-200mm 2.8VC and Nikon 50mm 1.8G and if you buy all new you are looking at about 4400$ or around 2500$ used.
Another option is Nikon D7100 (APS-C) + Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 and Sigma 50-100mm 1.8 for about 1800$-2500$ (used or new)

Thanks for your help. Just to clear the slight misunderstanding, I don`t want a special camera for wedding since I don`t shoot them now. It is just possibility in future. I need an upgrade, probably to FF because of additional resolution a low light performance, plus the camera should be very capable in term of video quality. Main purposes are: portrait, commercial and studio photography. For video also green screen use, real estate video/photography (I came across need to shoot in 4k and down scaling it to full HD)

I know that G-master series are very expensive, but there are affordable replacements at least to start with.

All those seem to be in a7r ii, but from some reviews I came across GH5, and Sony a6300/6500 can deliver close image quality and video quality...

Welcom to the site. For some help with deciding on different cameras. Head to - DxOMark by DxO | DxOMark
They test cameras and lenses. Lots of information and compare cameras and their performance, and some of their specifications.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back