Upgrading from 430ex to 580ex... worth the upgrade?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I can upgrade from my used 430ex to a new 580ex II for about $120. What are some pros/cons?

I use the flash for sports photography and portraits. Recycle time is critical for me, and the 430ex has fallen short a couple times. Distance isn't so critical, but now I am bouncing light more, so maybe more power would help. There is a lot of dirt around the race track where i'll be every saturday night during the summers. The 580exII apparently has a dust seal of some sort? Will this actually help, or is it just a marketing thing? An added bonus of the 580 is that it should work with my cheap transmitters a lot better than the 430. Also doesn't it have the built-in PC cord jack so that I don't have to spend 10 bucks on one for my 430?

What do you think? I like the 430, but I need a bit faster recycle time (does the 580ex II have faster recycle time?). As for the dust thing... if my 430 is around dirt a lot, what could happen to it?

Any opinions from people who have used both?

Well for recycle times...the 580 will allow you to use the external battery pack. The 430 does now. That alone is a great reason to upgrade.

That dust seal is a rubber gasket at the base and felt lining along the batter door. The main bonus is the recycle time and master trigger, power and range. If you need it, its got it. I use my 430 with a set of NiMH rechargeables and recycle time is faster opposed to alkalines.

I believe that the 580 II does have a faster recycle time...but recycle time has a lot to do with the batteries and the power of the flash burst. For example, if you shoot at wider apertures or at a higher ISO, you won't need as much flash power, so your recycle time is faster.

The weather seals are what they are...it should help to keep the insides clean. I believe it's meant to keep rain out as well...which is good. I don't think that a little dust would hurt your 430...but you obviously want to keep it clean.

Also, the 580 has a nice wheel on the back, for control. The 430 just has those crescent buttons, which are a pain to use.

I have both...I use my 580ex II all the time, my 430 sees little use now. I'm also going to upgrade my other 430 to a 580ex for when shooting weddings so my wife has a flash that can use a decent batter pack. Not even sure why I bought the 430ex anymore...probably was a cheap alternative to the 580ex at the time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back