Upgrading from a D80

TashWill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm upgrading from a D80 and I have been drawn to the D7100. Is there anything alarmingly wrong with this camera?

I'm mainly a hobby photographer but do photograph clients when able to(I'm also a school teacher) so i need something more than an entry level camera.

I'm upgrading from a D80 and I have been drawn to the D7100. Is there anything alarmingly wrong with this camera?

I'm mainly a hobby photographer but do photograph clients when able to(I'm also a school teacher) so i need something more than an entry level camera.

I've had 3 D80 bodies in the past, and at one point made the upgrade to a D7000 and then to a D7100.

Coming from the D80, the D7100 will absolutely blow you away. The difference really is astounding.. especially the autofocus and low light performance.

Go ahead and get a D7100.. you absolutely will not regret it.

My main issue with my D80 is the low light performance! I'm never able to bump my ISO up AT ALL without getting too much grain(at least for my liking). I'm so nervous to purchase....

My main issue with my D80 is the low light performance! I'm never able to bump my ISO up AT ALL without getting too much grain(at least for my liking). I'm so nervous to purchase....

When I had my D80 I tried to stay below 400, 800 was my max. 1600 was a desperate last resort.

On the D7100 I'm generally comfortable up to 2500, 3200-4000 is pushing it. Beyond that is a last resort.

I also recently picked up a refurb D500 for $1500, and with that I'm comfortable up to 8000, and anything below 25,600 can be useable depending on conditions.

Technology moves fast, but the 7100 is a MASSIVE upgrade over the D80.

Depending on your budget and what lenses you own, you might also consider picking up a used D600/D610 because they are essentially the D7100 with a full frame sensor and better low light abilities.

D80>D90>D7000>D7100

The D7100 has a MUCH better sensor than the sensors from way back in the D80 era; there's been a revolution in sensor capability since the D80 was current. Nikon D7100 vs Nikon D80 | DxOMark

There is nothing really "alarming" about the D7100 except its small RAW shooting buffer, around six images. It's much better in JPEG mode if a person needs extended action sequence shooting capability. The buffer issue was alleviated in the D7200.

Search for the Thom Hogan review of the Nikon D7100 for a full, unvarnished refiew of the camera.

When I had my D80 I tried to stay below 400, 800 was my max. 1600 was a desperate last resort.

On the D7100 I'm generally comfortable up to 2500, 3200-4000 is pushing it. Beyond that is a last resort.

I also recently picked up a refurb D500 for $1500, and with that I'm comfortable up to 8000, and anything below 25,600 can be useable depending on conditions.

Technology moves fast, but the 7100 is a MASSIVE upgrade over the D80.

Depending on your budget and what lenses you own, you might also consider picking up a used D600/D610 because they are essentially the D7100 with a full frame sensor and better low light abilities.

I looked at full frame but my budget isn't that big and all my lenses are DX.

The D7100 has a MUCH better sensor than the sensors from way back in the D80 era; there's been a revolution in sensor capability since the D80 was current. Nikon D7100 vs Nikon D80 | DxOMark

There is nothing really "alarming" about the D7100 except its small RAW shooting buffer, around six images. It's much better in JPEG mode if a person needs extended action sequence shooting capability. The buffer issue was alleviated in the D7200.

Search for the Thom Hogan review of the Nikon D7100 for a full, unvarnished refiew of the camera.

Thanks! I always shoot in RAW but never action shots so I don't think the buffer would bother me much. Thanks for the review resource!

You are going to love the upgrade from D80 to D7100. Much higher image quality and low light capability. To my knowledge, there are no big problems with the D7100. Some have complained that the buffer is small and makes shooting multi-frame difficult. That is the only negative comment I've ever read about the D7100.

The 7100 is an ideal replacement for the D80. The 7000 series cameras are the only DX format cameras that will accept all the lenses that the D80 will handle. It also uses two selection wheels like the D80. I'm sure you will like it. I had a D80 and now have a 7000 and a 71oo

I agree with the D7100, you'll love it!

It has no optical low pass filter so you'll get sharper images.

It has excellent high ISO performance and a very good 24mp sensor.

Don't forget that it has HD video too!

Buy it.

Most reactions

Back