Upgrading from Canon Rebel XTi - what camera??

Jaimiem

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please excuse me if this has been discussed to death already - I'm a newbie.

Almost 3 years ago I bought myself a Canon Rebel XTi for Christmas to take better pictures of my daughter. A 430EX flash, 50mm 1.8 prime lens, and 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens later I'm looking to upgrade the camera body. I have around $1K to put into the new camera (can be persuaded to go a little higher if it's a big difference in quality). My primary subjects are my kids and my main focus is improving image quality indoors. I had some great moments last weekend in front of the camera but the images turned out grainy which was extremely disappointing. I'm not a "for hire" photographer but will take pics for friends and I want to take really good pics of my family.

I'd love any and all advice you have.

Thanks!

The first thing I'd suggest, is trying to diagnose why your photos were grainy. If it's something you're doing wrong, or unaware of, then getting a new camera won't necessarily improve your situation.

So post some images along with the EXIF info.

If you do still choose to upgrade, the new D60 is going to be about $1000 and would be a great upgrade.

"grainy" indoor photos usually result from really elevated ISO settings, or underexposed images, or a combination of both. Do you perhaps have some exposure compensation dialed in on the +/- control??? If you used flash, was the flash set to some Minus compensation on its +/- control???

A photo or two could really help diagnose the problem, since it carries EXIF information showing all the settings of the camera and or flash.

Thanks Mike.

Here's a shot that turned out grainy. I shot it in RAW and did the auto adjust and a little tweaking in PS4, but not much. I'm a wannabe PSer without much knowledge or talent and no time to learn.

IMG_3304.jpg

(this picture was just funny - not the facial expression I was after, the little monster)

Stats: f/2.8 1/1000s ISO 1600 50mm - and no flash. I know the flash would have helped but it was downstairs and I hate to break away sometimes when the kids are agreeable.

And just to redeem myself a little, here's another shot I got that same morning

IMG_3279.jpg

A little bright on the one side but I like how it makes his eyes stand out. Almost embarrassed to share that here...

Last edited:
Thanks Mike.

Here's a shot that turned out grainy. I shot it in RAW and did the auto adjust and a little tweaking in PS4, but not much. I'm a wannabe PSer without much knowledge or talent and no time to learn.

IMG_3304.jpg

(this picture was just funny - not the facial expression I was after, the little monster)

Stats: f/2.8 1/1000s ISO 1600 50mm - and no flash. I know the flash would have helped but it was downstairs and I hate to break away sometimes when the kids are agreeable.

1/1000 at f/2.8 at ISO 1600 in light like that is simply underexposed...it needs a much slower shutter speed...

I was going on the dial in the viewfinder and of course with the small screen I couldn't tell that it wasn't right. I was also scared to get too far down for fear of making the shot blurry.

You could have easily used a lower ISO in the first pic. High ISO = more noise, so keep the ISO down.

You could have easily used a lower ISO in the first pic. High ISO = more noise, so keep the ISO down.

Okay so this is why I was thinking of upgrading. The 60D goes to ISO 6400 so my thoughts were that it must mean that at ISO 1600, the camera would capture better images since it's in the middle of it's range. Is that just crazy newbie logic?

I don't know much about Canon, since I'm a Nikon guy, but yes, I'm guessing the 60D would have a better sensor thus less noise.

You aren't getting my point tho. Your current camera could easily get better pictures, you're just not using correct settings. The first pic is shot at 1/1000 sec and 1600ISO. Lower the ISO, increase the exposure time and you will get a lot less noise.

I don't know much about Canon, since I'm a Nikon guy, but yes, I'm guessing the 60D would have a better sensor thus less noise.

You aren't getting my point tho. Your current camera could easily get better pictures, you're just not using correct settings. The first pic is shot at 1/1000 sec and 1600ISO. Lower the ISO, increase the exposure time and you will get a lot less noise.

I understand that, but to do a lower ISO, I would either have to adjust my aperture or shutter speed, right? I didn't want to make it blurry with a slower shutter speed and don't have a tripod.

Yes, AdrianC is right. Rather than shooting at 1/1000, you could have shot it at 1/250 with and ISO of 400, and got the same exposure with much less noise....or 1/125 and ISO 200 etc.

Also, if the shot was underexposed and you use software to brighten it up, that will really accentuate the noise. So getting the exposure right, in the first place, will really help with noise as well.

So really, there is nothing wrong with the camera you have.

Yes, you would have to use a longer exposure time, but you shot that at 1/1000sec. You could have used 1/50sec with 100ISO for a similar exposure. As long as you don't have really shaky arms, you shouldn't have a problem. If you do have shaky arms, then maybe 1/100 sec. 1/1000 is incredibly fast.

Shooting at a focal length of 50mm generally allows you to shoot hand held at 1/50sec. A 200mm focal length would allow you to hand hold the camera at 1/200sec.

I understand that, but to do a lower ISO, I would either have to adjust my aperture or shutter speed, right? I didn't want to make it blurry with a slower shutter speed and don't have a tripod.
You need to realize what shutter speeds will give you blur. The rule of thumb is that you want at least 1/focal length, to avoid blur from camera shake. And I doubt you were using a 1000mm lens.
1/125 would probably be fast enough to freeze you kids unless they are running around, in which case, 1/250 would probably be good. If they aren't moving too fast, then 1/60 might even be fast enough.

Yeah, according to the exif data, he was shooting at 50mm, so a longer time of exposure would definitely be possible.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back