Upgrading from D80 Help!

KAikens318

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to upgrade my D80. I am trying to get into sports photography so I need something that is fast. I was looking into getting a Canon but I just love Nikon not to mention I would have to get new lenses too. What would you guys recommend for an upgrade that is under $1500 for just the body?

Nikon D300s 6-8+FPS. Or, the replacement for the D90 will be coming out within a month, you could wait to see the specs on that. That's what I would do..wait until after photokina.

Mark

Nikon D300s 6-8+FPS. Or, the replacement for the D90 will be coming out within a month, you could wait to see the specs on that. That's what I would do..wait until after photokina.

Mark

I was looking at the D300s. Looks like a good solid sports camera. Now to get a decent fast zoom. Lol. My 200mm is pretty good but not prime.

You dont really need a prime to have fast AF. The sigma 70-200mm F/2.8 HSMII has both great optics and lightning zoom. Or, for a tad less money, you could get Nikon 300mm F/4 if you wanted a prime, not sure how well the AF is for tracking though..

Mark

You dont really need a prime to have fast AF. The sigma 70-200mm F/2.8 HSMII has both great optics and lightning zoom. Or, for a tad less money, you could get Nikon 300mm F/4 if you wanted a prime, not sure how well the AF is for tracking though..

Mark

I actually just sold my 300mm F/4. That thing was terrible. It was extremely slow focusing and was not very sharp from 200mm on. Could be because it was an older model, but I have found my 55-200 to be pretty great in sports situations, but only in daylight. At night it was awful, I had to bump the ISO up to 1000 which gave me noise that couldn't be fixed. I am hoping the noise level is better on the D300s too, the D80 is horrible anywhere after 640.

Hmm..Im also a tad confused as to how you have Tamron 90-500mm in your signature?

Mark

I actually just sold my 300mm F/4. That thing was terrible. It was extremely slow focusing and was not very sharp from 200mm on. Could be because it was an older model, but I have found my 55-200 to be pretty great in sports situations, but only in daylight. At night it was awful, I had to bump the ISO up to 1000 which gave me noise that couldn't be fixed. I am hoping the noise level is better on the D300s too, the D80 is horrible anywhere after 640.
You must've had a bad copy of the Nikkor 300mm f/4. Mine is very responsive with AF and very sharp IQ. Curious as to your statement that it is not sharp beyond 200mm. It is a fixed focal length of 300mm. 200mm is not applicable.

The 55-200mm is a consumer grade lens. It can take sharp images given enough light, but low light situations will show its short comings.

The D80 ISO performance suffers north of ISO800. I went from D80 > D300 > D700. I gave the D80 to my son but still have the other two. The D300(s) should suit your needs for sport photography and low light, but you'll still want to couple it with good glass to optimize its performance.

You must've had a bad copy of the Nikkor 300mm f/4. Mine is very responsive with AF and very sharp IQ. Curious as to your statement that it is not sharp beyond 200mm. It is a fixed focal length of 300mm. 200mm is not applicable.

The 55-200mm is a consumer grade lens. It can take sharp images given enough light, but low light situations will show its short comings.

The D80 ISO performance suffers north of ISO800. I went from D80 > D300 > D700. I gave the D80 to my son but still have the other two. The D300(s) should suit your needs for sport photography and low light, but you'll still want to couple it with good glass to optimize its performance.

Sorry, meant to put 70-300mm for the Nikon. I hated that lens. It just never took sharp photos no matter what I did. There was no fungus or anything inside, I am not sure what it was. My 55-200 is really good, the 18-105 VR is the lens I never take off of my camera.

The Tamron 90-500 isn't actually Tamron, it's Opteka, will have to change that! Hopefully getting rid of that one soon too. Fixed F8 and doesn't take sharp pics at all, of course what do I expect from an $80 lens? Lol. I am going to save up for the Sigma 120-300mm 2.8, I will have a long way to go for that one. :) D300s first, then the snappy lens. Lol.

Thanks for all the help!

Most reactions

Back