Upgrading from my 5100 - need some input

want to have it at least a before a family trip we're taking mid December.
At least a couple hours should be enough (actually a couple days should be fine)

Can't really give a recommendation. I know you have the D5100, but have you handled the D5500. It has a better grip than the earlier models and that is what I think is the best new feature of the D5xxx line. However, the D7200 really addresses your needs for shots similar to cheerleading with the improved AF, pentaprism and high ISO that were previously noted. It looks like you already have some decent lenses to use with it and have the D5100 for a backup or where you need two cameras.

As for glasses, I keep my glasses on when shooting everything except for when I do macro and do manual focus (I have my diopter set for when I am not wearing glasses).

want to have it at least a before a family trip we're taking mid December.
At least a couple hours should be enough (actually a couple days should be fine)

Can't really give a recommendation. I know you have the D5100, but have you handled the D5500. It has a better grip than the earlier models and that is what I think is the best new feature of the D5xxx line. However, the D7200 really addresses your needs for shots similar to cheerleading with the improved AF, pentaprism and high ISO that were previously noted. It looks like you already have some decent lenses to use with it and have the D5100 for a backup or where you need two cameras.

As for glasses, I keep my glasses on when shooting everything except for when I do macro and do manual focus (I have my diopter set for when I am not wearing glasses).

Yes meant to type at least a few days! I haven't handled the 5500, just the 5300 when it first came out.

So... was planning to wait to see if there were any Black Friday deals but since I'm buying refurb I wasn't sure if it was going to make much of a difference... then today I found the 7100 refurb from Cameta via Newegg for $499 with free shipping and the Cameta 1 year warranty. I just couldn't pass that up, especially since I was already 99% sure of buying the same directly from Cameta for $579!

Happy with my deal and now just have to wait 5-7 b days for delivery. Thanks all for your input!

The only "problem" with the d7xxx models is you might miss the flip screen. If that is not an issue for you I can highly recommend the d7100.

I have had the d7100 and now the d7200. The d7200 is slightly better but as you said not worth the price of a good lens better.

The d7xxx gives you 2 cards, better weather seals, better af and faster fps along with high speed sync and the cls lighting system.

If you go d7100 budget for a good card. SanDisk extreme pro 95 mbs is often recommended
Don't forget internal focus motor on the 7000 series!

So... was planning to wait to see if there were any Black Friday deals but since I'm buying refurb I wasn't sure if it was going to make much of a difference... then today I found the 7100 refurb from Cameta via Newegg for $499 with free shipping and the Cameta 1 year warranty. I just couldn't pass that up, especially since I was already 99% sure of buying the same directly from Cameta for $579!

Happy with my deal and now just have to wait 5-7 b days for delivery. Thanks all for your input!

Congrats on your purchase! The D7100 is a wonderful camera. While the D7200 may be slightly better in several aspects, I highly doubt you will ever look at an image and regret your decision.

Yes, good choice> I'd say you'll be very happy, everyone talks about hi iso performance of the d7100, but don't forget that these modern 24mp sensors give superb detail and colour @ low iso. Below is iso 560 which would have been high a few years ago but is not really considered high anymore. In my opinion there is still very good detail and image quality at this setting

Gorch Fock Cobh 14 marc 2014 (4) by jaomul, on Flickr

It's here already!!! Yeay!
pics_or_it_didnt_happen_retro_poste.jpg

Seriously, if you start a new thread with review of your new camera, cross-link it here, please!

It's here already!!! Yeay!
pics_or_it_didnt_happen_retro_poste.jpg

Seriously, if you start a new thread with review of your new camera, cross-link it here, please!

Here's your pic, lol. It happened.

20151112_231031.jpg

Everything working perfectly so far. Shutter count was 86! So many buttons. Took me forever to figure out how to get the focus settings I wanted... had to read the manual several times before figuring out what I was doing wrong. Hopefully the learning curve won't be too steep now that I've got that down.

you'll be another convert from the slow menu driven d3x00 and d5x00 to the button driven d7x00 and higher bodies and wonder why you didn't make the switch sooner.

Ahhhhh, sweet deal!!! What was once a $1200 camera, for under five hundred bucks. Cool beans!

I would go with the refurb 7100 I think, for the price. Bigger, better viewfinder with a full-fledged pentaprism, which "I" think is really helpful for better seeing what the image is before snapping it.

Can't believe what a big difference this makes for me. All those over (ahem) 40 take note!!!

Most reactions

Back