Upgrading from Nikon D3100

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomclem

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey there,

I'm looking to upgrade my setup. I currently shoot with the D3100 - which was a great camera to learn the basics with, however I feel that I have outgrown its capabilities as a photographer.

I went into the local camera store, and they really pitched me hard on the D610.

I love the idea of going to a full frame sensor, and all of that, however I saw some fairly unimpressive raw samples from this camera.... So, Im not really sure what to think at this time.
Obviously, lighting and lens has a big roll in the photo I saw, so I don't want that to be my deciding factor.

Do any of you out there use the D610?
Would love to hear some input on this camera, or if there is a better camera that I should be looking at?

Mainly looking for something that will scream in low light performance - I really want to start capturing the bustling nightlife of my city.
Architecture, Landscape, Portraits, Musicians - thats about all I'm interested in.

Anyway, I appreciate any help that any of you could lend!

It's really strange that you were unimpressed with the photo quality the D610 produces given that it's one of the very best on the market today for photo quality. I use the D600 and am totally impressed with the images, especially in low light, I imagine the D610 would generate same results. Another upgrade (on the cheaper side) you can consider is to the D7000 or D7100. Those are DX cameras so low light capabilities will not be on par with full frame sensor cameras however will still be a significant improvement over the D3100 not to mention you will benefit from extra features like second command wheel, more sophisticated and quicker focus system, better weather sealing, ergonomics, etc.

D610 or D7100 would fit the Bill for an upgrade..

CaptainNapalm - Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.
I noticed that you use both the 600 and the 7000 - may I ask, is one body a "go to" camera over the other for you? Or do you prefer one for a specific type of shooting over the other?
Just trying to get a better idea of your work flow with both of these models.
Also - I checked out your 500px - great work.. Just a heads up, the red car you refer to as a Ferrari is actually a McLaren 12c Spider... I'm a bit of a car nut ;)

The D600/D610 is an entry-level grade full frame (FX) DSLR.

The D7100 is a prosumer grade crop sensor (DX) DSLR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back