Upgrading to DSLR

benjyman345

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hello,

I am thinking of upgrading to a DSLR sometime soon. (Not straight away) and am doing a bit of research. I would like to hear other peoples advice, tips etc etc etc...

I have very briefly looked at:

* Olympus E-410, E-500, E-510
* Canon EOS 400D
* Nikon D40

I am happy for people to give opinions on these cameras and any other cameras which I could consider.

I am looking at a budget of about max: $1500 at the moment.
I want something which can compare to my film slr or better and accesories such as lenses are not too expensive.
(I guess I can always start off with a couple lenses and work my way up as my budget increases)

I currently have a Pentax MZ50 Film SLR.

Thanks!

Maybe also have a look at Pentax or even Samsung. They both offer dSLR's on which you could use the lenses you already have for your Pentax film SLR.

Hi there. Steph is right, Pentax or Samsung dSLRs will be totally compatible with your film camera. Both the K100D are K10D are very good dSLRs and offer a lot for their prices. Pentax are now updating their K100D to a 'K100D Super' to include support for faster SDM lenses (the K10D will already support these), and two fast zooms are being released at the end of this month. As a result of this the current bodies will probably drop even further in price, and you should be able to find a good lens like the 16-45mm f/4 for a decent price too. The Tamron 18-50mm f/2.8 is also being released for the Pentax mount this summer.

OK that's my sales pitch done. If compatibility with your current equipment isn't important, fact is all the companies make great equipment and can easily provide a good dSLR body and couple of good lenses within your budget. Some companies do some things better than others and other companies do some things better than them; other people's priorities may not be your own so this is a decision you really have to make yourself based on your own requirements. As for starting off with a couple of lenses and adding more later, that certainly sounds like a good idea; I wouldn't set out to buy more unless you already know specifically what you're looking for.

hello,

I am thinking of upgrading to a DSLR sometime soon.

I currently have a Pentax MZ50 Film SLR.

I know this won't help you at all since it has nothing to do with your question, but I really needed to say so: I am constantly reading a lot of people using the word "upgrade" to mean going digital. I must say I don't agree at all. That's not an upgrade; you're just buying a new and different-system camera, so you can't possibly upgrade.

Again, sorry for the post, but that (mis)use implies that digital is an upgrade over film, and I don't agree (neither I do if we'd put it the other way round, by the way; just two systems... and please, no one starts the eternal empty debate film/digital; I am not doing it at all!)

I know this won't help you at all since it has nothing to do with your question, but I really needed to say so: I am constantly reading a lot of people using the word "upgrade" to mean going digital. I must say I don't agree at all. That's not an upgrade; you're just buying a new and different-system camera, so you can't possibly upgrade.

Again, sorry for the post, but that (mis)use implies that digital is an upgrade over film, and I don't agree (neither I do if we'd put it the other way round, by the way; just two systems... and please, no one starts the eternal empty debate film/digital; I am not doing it at all!)

The reason I said upgrad is actually because I have already got a digital and film camera. I am upgrading my digital camera and will continue to use my film SLR, especially for B&W.

The reason I said upgrad is actually because I have already got a digital and film camera. I am upgrading my digital camera and will continue to use my film SLR, especially for B&W.

:thumbup:

I like my XTi (Canon 400D) very much. Combined with a Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS lens it makes for a great DSLR starter setup.

Most reactions

Back