Uploading to computer...

kitkatdubs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am shooting in RAW and would like to keep them that way, but every time I upload my photos to say, iPhoto, they automatically get converted to jpeg. What a good program to upload my photos to that will keep the photos in original format of RAW?

iPhoto supports raw files so I'm not sure what is causing your issue. That said most people use Lightroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iPhoto supports raw files so I'm not sure what is causing your issue. That said most people use Lightroom.

Okay well then how come when I grab the photo from iPhoto and drag it into photoshop, it doesn't ask me if Id like to convert it? For example, when I upload raw photos directly to my desktop, and then drag that photo into photoshop, it asks me if I would like to convert it to jpeg. But when its coming from iPhoto, it does not ask me that, which makes me assume its already converted.

If you've converted the files to JPG, then why would you expect them to be RAW files?

I don't use either of those programs, so I don't know if there are settings to check for your imports. I use Aperture, and I've set it to import both the RAW and the JPG files that my camera has made. I use the RAW files to do my edits on, and I am considering just dropping the JPG format off the camera altogether. Maybe someday I will, but so far it hasn't slowed things down, or clogged up the memory, so for now I might keep it that way.

All you have to do is check the file format in properties to know what it is. I wirelessly transfer photos to my iPhone sometimes from my camera and they are in a raw format on my phone.

Okay well then how come when I grab the photo from iPhoto and drag it into photoshop, it doesn't ask me if Id like to convert it? For example, when I upload raw photos directly to my desktop, and then drag that photo into photoshop, it asks me if I would like to convert it to jpeg. But when its coming from iPhoto, it does not ask me that, which makes me assume its already converted.

Because iPhoto is the evil spawn of the iMac demon.

7059479277_61a6ed2e35_o.jpg

OK, maybe a little over-the-top, but seriously keep your photos the bleep away from iMangle, I mean iPhoto.

Put an SD card in the computer and iPhoto pops open -- close it. Manually copy your photos to a folder structure you set up for yourself: for example I have a folder I named photos and in that folder is a separate folder for raw originals and another folder for work in progress and other folders for edited photos, etc.

You're on a Mac so buy LightRoom. If you don't want to spend money download (free) DarkTable and/or Raw Therapee and/or LightZone and you'll be good to go.

Joe

Hahahaha ^ this is why I have a PC.

Because by just dragging it out iphoto is going to make a jpeg from your raw file. You can set up iPhoto to use an external editor Using an external editing program from iPhoto | Apple Support Communities

Question why are you still using iPhoto when apple has replaced it with Photos? You should also consider getting Adobe Lightroom.

I think Adobe Lightroom is exactly what you need. I have creative cloud and I thought I wouldn't like paying every year/monthly to use it but its actually worth it. 10 bucks a month you get Lightroom and Photoshop along with all the updates and upgrades.

But if you don't want that...there are some free Lightroom alternatives available and some of them are ok but they still don't come close Lightroom's capabilities.

Hahahaha ^ this is why I have a PC.

Because you're unsure as how to uninstall a program?

Speaking of which, OP - uninstall iPhoto. Then to "import them" you open finder and create a file folder in the directory where you're storing photos. Open another finder window and navigate to the SD card. Them copy the files from the SD card to the folder your created.

Since you have a Mac...

iPhoto is intended for JPEG images. It will "import" your RAW images... but will then immediately convert them to JPEG and everything they do with the image will be performed on the JPEG image -- which is not what you want.

Apple's "Aperture" application is the high-end RAW-workflow tool... and it's fantastic. I loved it. It was incredibly powerful and the whole tool just made sense to me. I "spoke my language" so it wasn't hard for me to figure out how to get it to perform the adjustments I wanted. Sounds great, right?

Not so fast... about a year ago, Apple decided to announce that they are discontinuing iPhoto for the consumer market and also discontinuing Aperture for the pro market and combing them both into a new app called "Photos" which is intended to be THE tool for BOTH consumers AND professionals alike.

"Photos" is a steaming pile. This reminds me of the time they decided to replace iMove and Final Cut Pro with a new program called Final Cut X. It was a disaster. Several key people at Apple were sacked for it. Apple lost a huge following of pro users. They finally re-wrote Final Cut X into something the could actually hold a candle to the old Final Cut Pro and life moved on with a happy ending. There is (so far) so "happy ending" for photography users. "Photos" is terrible.

Adobe is REALLY trying to push (and push HARD) to get everyone on board with their "cloud" model (which has nothing to do with "cloud" and fails all definitions of cloud-based software but hey that's the software marketing word of 2015 so they're using the term anyway.) What they WANT you to do is pay them $10/month for a minimum of a 1 year term (which means you can't pay them less than $120). For that $10/month you get unlimited use of both Adobe Lightroom CC as well as Adobe Photoshop CC.

But Adobe WILL still "sell" you a single use copy of Lightroom 6 (the "pay once and use forever" version of the software). Finding it is tricky. BTW... Adobe will NOT "sell" you Photoshop anymore. Period. If you want Photoshop, you WILL RENT IT. If you do find someone claiming to sell Photoshop ... it's not legitimate.

Anyway... using Lightroom CC on the Mac is what probably most photographers are doing.

Here's the link Digital photography software | Download free Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC trial

If you want to buy the "buy it once and use it forever" version of Lightroom for $149, scroll all the way to the bottom of that page and you'll find it in the extreme lower right corner (until Adobe changes the page to hide it someplace else.... they've been making it hard to find and then telling everyone "we noticed almost nobody buys the single license version anymore... that must mean buyers only want cloud software" -- when the truth is nobody can FIND the single-use software for sale because Adobe goes out of their way to steer you away from it.)

Adobe WILL still "sell" you a single use copy of Lightroom 6 (the "pay once and use forever" version of the software). Finding it is tricky.
Yes. It's really tricky to find the standalone version of LR 6:
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6

If you order LR 6 within the next 20 hrs and 28 min you can have it by Tuesday.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you are just looking for uploading photos to computer, some camera shipped with software let you do that. My Canon and Sony cameras did include software for both Mac and PC.

Use a card reader to copy your files to your computer. I use an external hard disk for my RAW files. Then I import files to my software from the hard disk. The RAW's are never edited.

Phil

Most reactions

New Topics

Back