Upsizing you 10 megapixels to 30 mp sort of...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it may be a cool and viable technique, taking 10mp to 30 in software just sounds so off the mark that people might call you on it, no biggie, were all your fans !!! ;)

I think we all just have issues cause we cant see each other when we type...

no body language to speak of...

I wish this site would let me upload from my computer files..It would be so much easier..Really...That way I could do screen shots etc..

Sorry...I guess, something is working. The technique I employed for those were as indicated earlier in another post re: my workflow method.

Ben,

Yes, and thanks, I've been using the methods of that workflow to increase the "punch" of some of my pictures. :thumbup:

When I tried what my understanding is of your current technique, it didn't give me the same "bang". However, my photos max out at a bit less than a meter when printed (30 inches x 20 inches), a lot smaller than some of your works. Do you have a step-by-step outline of the current technique somewhere?

Ben,

Yes, and thanks, I've been using the methods of that workflow to increase the "punch" of some of my pictures. :thumbup:

When I tried what my understanding is of your current technique, it didn't give me the same "bang". However, my photos max out at a bit less than a meter when printed (30 inches x 20 inches), a lot smaller than some of your works. Do you have a step-by-step outline of the current technique somewhere?

Yes..For the Lumas Galleries that are limited editions, the images were up-sized via "Bicubic Smoother" in PS2 at 20 percent intervals up to the size required by the Galleries. They print out at 200dpi for the size indicated, i.e; 0.80 x 1.20 meters.

http://www.eu.lumas.com/?id=1297&artist=616&motiv=1617

So now you're changing your tune?

First you say that you can make a 10mp image look like a 30mp one. Then you say "kind of." You then say that you're going for a stereoscopic effect.

That's fine. Why didn't you just write a guide to giving a stereoscopic effect? But you didn't. You wrote a guide to making a 10mp print look that "sure looks like" a 30mp one, which is ridiculous.

Like I said before, I'm not contesting your talent. I've seen your work and it's very good. But the fact that you shot an ad for Swarovsky doesn't mean that your post makes any more sense. If it's just an "effect" that you like, then great, but you certainly didn't present it that way.

The other thing I don't understand about your post (and I should say your posts in general, for that matter), is that it's very K10D- and ego-centric. You say things like "the rendition of the K10D" and "I am just another photographer with 27 years of experience." What you still haven't answered is why you would have any desire to improve the "rendition" of the K10D if you're so pleased with it. So pleased, in fact, that you claim to have turned down the use of the higher resolution cameras that the rest of the industry uses. So if you don't think that cameras like the H3 and the ZD, or even some other hassy or mamiya with a d-back, are that great, then quit fakin' the funk.

I find your tone to be far more offensive than mine. I really am just another guy, and I don't pretend to be anything else (however, "harsh" my critiques may be). But you take being full of one's self to an entirely new level. You act like your motives are altruistic; like you're some benevolent professional who posts here out of the goodness of your heart in order to help all the poor little fledgling photographers around the world. And people buy into your crap, too! Well answer me this. If you're such hot ****, then why are you always so desperate for approval? You write posts like this, saying "look at me!" "look what I can do!" Even when you appear to be helping people in the galleries and critique section, you're still desperate for approval; you never actually make any suggestions! You just say things like "you really should talk to me about this...I've been doing this for 25 years." You don't see Barry Lategan running around on forums saying "You could really use my help...I shot Twiggy." And you do the same crap everywhere else on the internet. Everywhere you pop up on the web, it's just some of your work and then you talking about how great you are. To be honest, I'm personally tired of your egomaniacal ramblings.

Max
The words "Sort of....." and "looks like" suggested to me an effect and not mathematical fact. I really don't see what the problem is. I find your views very extreme - in fact quite disturbing really!!

We all just come here because we like it. We all have our own reasons. Some come to critique, some come to provide help. If I have what I think is a great great image I'll post to get praise and its great to get that wee boost - Not sure Ben's reasons as only he can confirm but bashing like this is just not called for. Ben is a valued member and I really enjoy looking through his work.

Ben,
Your work is indeed fabulous and it's a shame that Max has gone off on a total tangent over nothing.

My point regards this technique is that I'm not sure many of us would use it. But because I might not does not make it any less of a technique.

Makes interesting reading though.

Regards
Jim

This is getting out of hand.

Benji, as I see it the claims that you were "effectively getting the impression of a 30.6 megapixel image" or getting a "similar resolution to a Pro Back of 31.6 megpixels" were misleading, in fact calling it "upsizing" is questionable... the claims just didn't seem to match up to what you're actually describing. As for 'the camera in question', I think it's best not to name it. I understand you're busy and may be copying posts from elsewhere but it might be better to edit the name out; it seems to offend people.

Max... I don't really see the evil plan you can apparently see. OK so he's impressed with his camera... but where does he claim this process can only be done with that camera or is best done with that camera? It makes sense that the same can be done with any comparable technology from any brand. There's no benefit to readers in him using the name of the camera... but at the same time, where's the harm in it? As for not helping, for one example, elsewhere he's suggested a workflow which some folks apparently liked... that's a contribution even if not everyone likes the tone of the posts.

Frankly I'm still not sure that the process described here achieves that much, and it certainly doesn't make a 30-megapixel image. But I would have thought that could have been resolved by just asking for clarification rather than all this combative stuff of calling people out and making accusations. Hope I haven't offended anyone; I hereby convene the TPF Peace Conference. Anyone want to take a seat? :)

Maxbloom: Part of the purpose of this forum is to propose new ideas and techniques and try to apply them to our hobby work and professions. Benjamin has merely just supplied the community with a technique that he believes works and as he said has even appeared to increase quality on massive prints. If I were you I would calm down a bit and appreciate what the people in this forum have contributed even if they have no experience or they have a lot of experience. Yes you can say this technique does not sound correct but you do not have to go on a rampage on this thread.

I'm locking this thread.

MaxBloom, if you wish to contest the statements of another member while calling him egomaniacal, you'd better start doing it via the PM.

If you are "personally tired" of his ramblings, why don't you put him on your Ignore list, instead of following him about and launching an attack of this nature? This is not allowed on TPF and you'd do well, at this stage, to step back and review the tone of your own posts before commenting on others.

I'm getting "personally tired" of receiving complaints about your over-the-top style of posting. Being honest and direct with people is swell, but your comments are too laced with acid as of late. Tone it down.

Everyone else, run outside and find your bikes, as was previously suggested. ;) This one's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back