Urban Rural

Mike Lamb

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Urban Sprawl.tif sig.jpg

I'll have to admit I have mixed feelings about this - not about the photography, but about the phenomenon being pictured.

I grew up on a farm (in western Oregon), and I can appreciate the attractiveness of 'living out in the country.' At the same time, I've seen the effects of encroaching urbanization. There are a lot of people, for instance, that seem to feel farmland is public property, and that they should therefore have unfettered access at any time. There are others who don't understand the necessities of the business and who are ready, at the drop of a hat, to complain when the farmer doesn't do things at a time convenient to them. This field, for instance, might need to be harvested late at night, and I'm sure some of the people in these houses will complain about the noise keeping them awake.

(Sorry for the rant, but this is a topic dear to my heart.)

I'll have to admit I have mixed feelings about this - not about the photography, but about the phenomenon being pictured.

I grew up on a farm (in western Oregon), and I can appreciate the attractiveness of 'living out in the country.' At the same time, I've seen the effects of encroaching urbanization. There are a lot of people, for instance, that seem to feel farmland is public property, and that they should therefore have unfettered access at any time. There are others who don't understand the necessities of the business and who are ready, at the drop of a hat, to complain when the farmer doesn't do things at a time convenient to them. This field, for instance, might need to be harvested late at night, and I'm sure some of the people in these houses will complain about the noise keeping them awake.

(Sorry for the rant, but this is a topic dear to my heart.)
It was a good rant. Thanks for commenting.

I love the soybean pic!

And as a farmers wife, I agree with rlemert. People like to go mudding on our property then when the get stuck, ask us for help getting out.

Love the quote that came with this picture

First and foremost, I too have to agree with the sentiments others have already made. We have areas like this here in Ohio where developers are building housing developments that encroach on farming areas. The noise factor alone just doesn't make sense to me...it's like people who buy a house near an airport or a highway then complain about the noise. Beyond that, after having spent the last 25 years living in a low income inner city neighborhood, I can certainly appreciate why someone would prefer a more rural setting (my wife and I are looking for just that as we're trying to relocate), so it just doesn't make sense as to WHY someone would take a rural area and try to suburbanize it....if ya want to live in "the burbs", then just live in the freakin' burbs! I just find it so disturbing to be driving down the country roads thru the farm lands of Ohio and suddenly see one of these "community developments" - it really just destroys what was once some very beautiful countryside.

On that note, as far as the image itself goes, I can certainly appreciate the juxtaposition here. The only suggestions I might make is that personally I'd prefer a bit more saturation as a whole and I -really- think that sky would have benefited from the use of a decent polarizing filter....those pretty, white & fluffy clouds really seem to lack definition.

Just my own personal opinions.

Most reactions

Back