URGENT: Help needed with meanings of photos

cm_assassin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Firstly, I'm new here...so hi everyone!

Found this forum as I desperately need help with some images.

I need to know about the following things:
  • Whether the images are used primarily as social or historical evidence
  • What you think the intentions of the photographer were, and the context of it's making
  • How and if the image is related to politics and ideology (what is ideology btw? :confused: )
  • The way the image was made (process and techniques)
  • How the image may be considered in terms of aesthetics and traditions of representation in art
  • If the image contains any relation to class/race/gender etc
  • Can the image be decoded as semiotic text
The images in question are the following:
I would highly appreciate any help with one, some or all of those images. I'm sorry to sound pushy, but it is very urgent...meaning today :(

The reason behind all this is as I have just found out about a presentation I have to help with tomorrow morning. Late notice, I know. Please please please help if you can in any way! Thanks

Oh...I hope I have posted this in the correct section of the forum, if not...I'm sorry, didn't mean to. :blushing:

Thanks
CM

sounds like homework....sorry cant help, but welcome to the forums anyways.

Yep, it is homework kinda. I have been told at the last minute about a presentation I have to help out with tomorrow :( Highly annoying, have enough to do as it is...which is why I desperately need help from someone.

Presentation? Please give more information.
Is it to do with a course you are studying? Or are you a lecturer holding a seminar? I can think of no other reasons as to why you would be doing a presentation on such academic topics.
I can, in fact, answer all your questions - but it will take me a while to think about it and formulate my replies, which isn't going to help you. What you are asking us to do is do a weeks worth of work in 10 minutes and condense an essay of a reply into a few sentences. Hmmm?
I would also need to know if you want me to answer based on the currently accepted thinking, or with original thinking.

Hertz van Rental said:
Presentation? Please give more information.
Is it to do with a course you are studying? Or are you a lecturer holding a seminar? I can think of no other reasons as to why you would be doing a presentation on such academic topics.
I can, in fact, answer all your questions - but it will take me a while to think about it and formulate my replies, which isn't going to help you. What you are asking us to do is do a weeks worth of work in 10 minutes and condense an essay of a reply into a few sentences. Hmmm?
I would also need to know if you want me to answer based on the currently accepted thinking, or with original thinking.

I'm a student, that's been asked to help out another student doing a presentation on this subject. Basically it's a talk about 6 chosen images, discussing those topics. Just was looking for some basic pointers on those images to help us out.

Thanks for the interest and everything, but we've kinda sorted something out. Although not as good as we'd like, it'll have to do now.

Thanks though :)

I hope that you're not asking other people to do YOUR homework! ;>)

If you really want some interesting asnwers to these questions start with the following book On Photography by Susan Sontag. It should be available at or through your public library. If you wish to add the book to your own personal library, you can probably get a good to excellent used copy at either abe.com or at alibris.com

Once you're finished with this book go and read either the biographies of the photographers and/or some of their books and then come to your conclusion(s).

Hope this is useful.

Bill

Most reactions

Back