urgent.... plz help nikon question

jteknet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm taking my d40 back to get something better. I need some suggestions for the 750-800 range that will get me started. I had the d40 kit. hoping I can get at least one lens that can shoot one foot to about 25 decently. I suppose a 55mm can do that at 10 MP???

please advise on this asap.

thank you!!!

Get a Nikon D80 and an 18-55 kit lens for starters... or a 50mm f/1.8, or both.

Sorry for the horrible punctuation and everything on my original post. I was doing it from my cell phone on the school bus. lol

So the D80 is definitely a good "pro" camera to start with? I'm thinking about possibly starting a smalltime studio in the next 12-18 months and I want to make sure what I spend all my money on will be more than sufficient and I won't need to upgrade for any reason (unless I chose to start doing other types of "specialized" work.) As of right now I'm thinking possibly some outside shots for portraits and weddings and such, once I'm a little more adept at photography.

Any other suggestions / comments welcome as I'm not leaving for another half hour or so, even then, I'll check it one last time before I go in the store on my cell phone and see if you all have said anything.

Thanks guys, this site has to be about the best when you get in a bind like I am in.

Justin

I'd get a D80 and 35/2 for studio on a really small budget as yours. 50mm f1.8 would be a cheaper route than 35/2 but you might not have enough room to back up in a studio. You'll also need to get sufficient lighting which could cost a good amount too.

Just so you don't get disappointed...you're probably not going to get to serious into making money until you've had some education and lots of PRACTICE.

Just so you don't get disappointed...you're probably not going to get to serious into making money until you've had some education and lots of PRACTICE.
I have to know, does anybody else accept this theory? Why can I not stick around here and shoot as many photos as I can with my new D80 and not be the same as any other photographer? I don't believe I have to take classes or anything. I actually picked up a "digital photography" book at the mall today and saw that it gave tips on weddings, shooting flowers, everything.

By education, it's possible you did not mean FORMAL education, because books are a form of education. If that's what you meant as well, then I'm not going to be disappointed because I'm MORE than willing to read a good photography book that's in simple terms and tells you little tricks of the trade like, how to stand LOW taking car shots to make them look better instead of taking shots from above or at eye-level, the book mentioned not waiting for a rainy day to take pictures of flowers because you can just carry a spray bottle with you and make it rain any day you'd like. Just little obvious tips like that. Things you would overlook just because their simplicity, but will produce wonderful pictures. Another thing, about weddings, it said to always capture the bride because she's the one that will, one way or another, be the one purchasing the pictures. Uncle Arnie just doesn't sell like she does. She needs to be followed around and have her picture taken like you would follow a QB in a football game.

See? Things like that I've learned in less than 15 minutes just by visiting the book store. So I'm a little less of a noob than I was just when I originally posted this.

You can do it self taught, but. School helps when you are stuck and can't find it yourself. A classroom asks more questions that get answered, some you've not thought of yet. But we all learn something everyday. No matter how experienced or good we think we are. It's when you think you're so good you can't be taught anything new, that you start to fail.

I didn't mean you can't do it without education...but it helps a lot to get a nice head start. It's probablyl less than 200 bucks for a semester long class at the community college.

Also, it's just nice to have someone to talk to about problems you've been having and whatnot.

You could for sure just take lots of pics and get lots of feedback from us...but there's some things you might want to learn in a classroom or out in the field with someone.

You can make money without school...but don't count on getting "right in"...it doesn't happen often.

I didn't mean you can't do it without education...but it helps a lot to get a nice head start. It's probablyl less than 200 bucks for a semester long class at the community college.

Also, it's just nice to have someone to talk to about problems you've been having and whatnot.

You could for sure just take lots of pics and get lots of feedback from us...but there's some things you might want to learn in a classroom or out in the field with someone.

You can make money without school...but don't count on getting "right in"...it doesn't happen often.
Thanks A LOT for your input. It really is greatly appreciated even though my first post that was directed at you sounds like I was trying to start a flamewar. I assure you that was not my intention. Thank you for your advice. After seeing that it only costs around $200-$300 to take a photography course at a small college, I might say what the heck, since that is only 1/3 of the $1,150 I ended up spending on my camera.

Speaking of which, I decided to get some cheap glass, but I still got two lenses with it. I got the AF-S 18-55mm and the AF-S 55-200mm. I suppose I really just ended up getting the same lenses that I had with the d40, which this is just a hunch, but I'm guessing they are junk glass? What should my next lens be to start saving up for? For that matter, should I start saving for some lighting? Even then, I don't know what to get.

Just trying to get into this photography thing because I really do like it, and if you help me you aren't wasting your time, I'm not like that 10 year old who just got a brand new camera. I've always been a photo freak. I suppose the reason I got into photography recently heavily is because my grandpa passed away November 19th last month and nothing made me feel better than looking through pictures and seeing him again.

Also, IF I do go to college I'm planning on being a computer science major, so that sets the stage very well for a photography minor, huh? Just some ideas and questions I thought I'd throw out there, maybe it will spark some new ones. Feel free to half-way hijack my thread and ask questions pertaining to my situation. It's much easier to find things when they are all in one place and that way I don't overlook anything because it's posted elsewhere.

Thank you guys (and gals)

Justin

THe 18-55 and 55-200 is not junk glass. My 18-55 did really well as a general lens and my 55-200 has a nice bokeh and very sharp if you consider it's cost. Personally, I think the 55-200 takes better portraits, but it's focal length would be a problem indoors. Your next purchase should be a 50mm f1.8 and then an SB-600 in my opinion, but it sounds like you have a good start.

Oh, and don't bother buying anymore lenses really until you learn the camera and some "education"....whether by shooting and getting critiques or by reading some photog books. It will be better to learn what you're doing before getting new glass and not knowing how to use it or it's advantages.

THe 18-55 and 55-200 is not junk glass. My 18-55 did really well as a general lens and my 55-200 has a nice bokeh and very sharp if you consider it's cost. Personally, I think the 55-200 takes better portraits, but it's focal length would be a problem indoors. Your next purchase should be a 50mm f1.8 and then an SB-600 in my opinion, but it sounds like you have a good start.

Oh, and don't bother buying anymore lenses really until you learn the camera and some "education"....whether by shooting and getting critiques or by reading some photog books. It will be better to learn what you're doing before getting new glass and not knowing how to use it or it's advantages.
Alright, good to know I have some good glass for my beginners equipment. I'm thinking about going to my cousin's wedding when she has it here in a few weeks and snapping some shots and see what I can come up with.

Of course, that's just because I'd be invited anyway because I'm her cousin. I figure can't get any better practice than firsthand shooting of what I'd like to end up making a side-job out of eventually. I know I'm REALLY far from being good enough to charge for my work, but at least I can get in some practice at the real thing. I might actually watch the paper from now on attend weddings of people I know as a supplement to my "education", reading different books and getting ideas.

I read an interview with a man who shoots weddings and he uses no lighting and does almost all b&w photography. His stuff is killer as well. If I can recall he shoots with a d50 or a d70 and he has a speedlight, but rarely uses it.

If the wedding is in a normal church, you'll probably want to raise your ISO...and will most likely want to use some fill flash.

You normally are not permitted to walk around takin gpictures during the ceremony, but you could ask beforehand.

Your lenses are not JUNK. They're not the top end ones...but you can and WILL get nice pictures out of them. Practice, practice, practice, and I shall look forward to seeing your results. Thanks for your appreciation, I was not sure how you meant your first post....I'm glad I could help.

Check out the thread titled "Anything but Ordinary" in the Wedding and Professional Portrait Gallery if you think you have to have a formal education to be a photographer. Joey Lawrence's stuff totally blew me away and he is only 18. (Just google his name). Photography reminds me of golf in that it is another "great equalizer". If you have the talent and the knowledge, you can capture incredible images, whether you are 15 over 85!

I have to know, does anybody else accept this theory? Why can I not stick around here and shoot as many photos as I can with my new D80 and not be the same as any other photographer? I don't believe I have to take classes or anything. I actually picked up a "digital photography" book at the mall today and saw that it gave tips on weddings, shooting flowers, everything.

YES, I heartily agree with him. Do not misunderstand, though. Education comes in many forms... sadly, you will not learn photography from a forum anymore than you can learn cooking from a cook book or or how to drive from reading an owner's manual or become a mechanic from reading car magazines.

You also need to realize that a professional photographer is someone that did a lot more than just read online forums, took a few snapshots and decided to make 5 million dollars a year one day. Like ANYTHING in life, it is going to take learning from MANY sources, LOTS of practice, LOTS of time and LOTS of effort. They spent YEARS learning and perfecting their craft.

There is a massive difference between someone that takes snapshots and someone that takes photographs... and any camera alone is NOT going to make that difference. It is all about the person behind the lens.

BTW, A D80 is not what I would call a "pro" camera. Its a great camera that takes very good pictures (but only if the person behind the camera knows what they are doing), and yes, some professionals use a D80 as a backup or what not... but its not what I would even come close to considering a "professional" level camera.

Talk to me about a pro camera and a D2x or D3 comes to mind... but not a D80. It is more along the lines of what is known as a "prosumer" camera. Thats a very cute marketing term that means "lets fool the public into thinking that they have something more than what they really have".

That thing about learning how to take wedding shots from a book made me laugh.

This summer I had a chance to shadow a pro at a wedding (with his permission of course... and even then, I was just watching from a distance what and how he did.

Some interesting things he told me and that I saw:

- On average, he takes between 1500-2000 pictures for any given wedding.
- Preparation time for any wedding event is takes 1-2 days by itself
- He loses on average 3-4 pounds on the day he works a wedding and he carries on his ankle this thing that measures distances. He averages something like 4-5 miles the day of the wedding.
- On his list of priorities, the absolute last thing on the list is his cheat sheet of what pictures he wants to take... there are 78 things above it ranging from organizing small things like talking to the family, clarifying expectations to making sure his suit is back from the cleaners to making sure he has 4 sets of fully charged batteries for EVERY camera and flash he owns. He has 2 sets of everything... cameras, lenses, tripods, umbrellas, etc...

I could go on and on... however if you like to read forums and what not, do searches on wedding photography. There are hundreds of places you will go that detail the horror and success stories and what it REALLY takes to be a wedding photographer... over and above 1 camera, 1 kit lens.

You are in for a HUGE surprise as to the differences between a true professional photographer and someone with a camera is (even if that other camera is a $15,000 camera!).

Most reactions

Back