US announces that Drones will now have to be registered.

And who is gonna enforce this silly rule? And how?

At tremendous expense, our gubbamint has produced yet another red herring.

And who is gonna enforce this silly rule? And how?

At tremendous expense, our gubbamint has produced yet another red herring.

The task force of course. ;)

Leave to to the government to make things more expensive and complicated than it needs to be.

That said I am already applying for my concealed drone permit.

sounds familiar.

Police Are Requiring Citizens 'Register' Their Video Surveillance Systems - Cops Caught On Tape

Now, a growing number of police departments across the US want access to your video. It may sound like an Orwellian science fiction novel, but it’s true.

Surveillance Camera Registration And Mapping, or SCRAM as it’s called, is a program where police have residents ‘voluntarily’ register their home surveillance systems with the local police. The way the program is supposed to work, is when a crime is committed near your home, police can ‘request’ all the footage that your system recorded. Of course, if you don’t voluntarily give up the footage, police will either take it by force, or get a warrant to secure the footage.

Take New Jersey, for example. Assemblyman Ralph Caputo crafted bill A-3843permitting a municipality to enact an ordinance establishing a private outdoor video surveillance camera registry, requiring owners of such cameras to register them with police. People who don’t do it would be subject to $100 fines. That bill is currently making it’s way through the state legislature (it currently has been amended to make the registration process voluntary, though if the registration will be voluntary, why is there a need to pass this bill?)

Registration data must include the owner’s name, address, telephone number, listing of all cameras used there, description of areas viewed by the cameras, and details about how and how long images are saved. New Jersey isn’t alone in their registry. The cities Fremont, San Mateo and Sacramento, California, all have ‘voluntary’ registries as well. Additionally, St. Petersburg, Florida, began their ‘voluntary’ registration last year.

Stupid people who fly drones around fires and over restricted areas have caused this.
Registration is silly but shooting them down is wasteful.

next they will make us register our cameras because we are all pedo creeps with big scary telephoto lenses watching everyone

next they will make us register our cameras because we are all pedo creeps with big scary telephoto lenses watching everyone

Not all of us with cameras are pedo's. Some of us are just collecting intell for Al Quida.

U.S. announces task force to develop drone registry

Good grief, this is getting silly.

You can take my drone from my cold dead hands!

The obvious problem is in incursion into controlled airspace. That's been unlawful for quite some time. Any dope with enough scratch to buy a GoPro and a drone isn't entitled to bring down an airliner on take-off or landing. Silly? Hardly.

U.S. announces task force to develop drone registry

Good grief, this is getting silly.

You can take my drone from my cold dead hands!

The obvious problem is in incursion into controlled airspace. That's been unlawful for quite some time. Any dope with enough scratch to buy a GoPro and a drone isn't entitled to bring down an airliner on take-off or landing. Silly? Hardly.

A little Phantom drone wouldn't do anything to a 747 or above. Smaller planes, yeah.

Either way most are limited to 400ft, which is the air space that RC planes used for decades with no problem.

... Any dope with enough scratch to buy a GoPro and a drone isn't entitled to bring down an airliner on take-off or landing. Silly? Hardly.
But taking one down in level flight at low altitude is perfectly fine? ;)

I really don't see the difference between these and RC planes, other than that they're a bit more common at the moment. The craze will pass.

A little Phantom drone wouldn't do anything to a 747 or above. Smaller planes, yeah.

Either way most are limited to 400ft, which is the air space that RC planes used for decades with no problem.

Before said 787 even lands after being hit by a drone, they will be outlawed due to the knee-jerk, Chicken Little reactionists.

Any dope with enough scratch to buy a GoPro and a drone isn't entitled to bring down an airliner on take-off or landing. Silly? Hardly.

You must not be aware of the 5-mile radius law.

Before said 787 even lands after being hit by a drone, they will be outlawed due to the knee-jerk, Chicken Little reactionists.

Who ever came up with the "drone" name really screwed it up for everyone. Call it an RC Quadcopter and nobody would be freaking out.

Who ever came up with the "drone" name really screwed it up for everyone. Call it an RC Quadcopter and nobody would be freaking out.

What about the ones with 6 blades? Or 8? Or 12?

Most reactions

Back