usable collector cmeras.

vin88

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
has anyone used the leica R4s ? the camera bodies are plentiful, the proper, original, lenses are hard to find. I am woundering if buying an adapter to a nikor lens to test its "multi mode operation". vin

Leica R series cameras never sold many units, and were so uncommon that I have never actually seen one in person.

The flange focal distance for Leica R-mount is very long ... so you would not be able to simply adapt a Nikon lens to it.

Last edited:
Leica R series cameras never sold many units, and were so uncommon that I have never actually seen one in person.
fasatating camera. saw one and bought it - no -lens! they were made from 1980 to 1996. acording to the "lens hawks", its lens would fit on a earlier leica camers ( not the M series) and sold at pirate prices. there may be an adapter for the R series, to a good lens, as trying to sell ( or collect ) any camera body without a lens is a joke. vin

Check out the camera quest.com websites adapter section for information on adapters, but do not pay their high prices. They sell very expensive, high-quality adapters, which are not necessary in my experience. I own about 15 adapters purchased from either eBay for around $14 each and one expensive "pro" Fotodiox adapter

Check out the camera quest.com websites adapter section for information on adapters, but do not pay their high prices. They sell very expensive, high-quality adapters, which are not necessary in my experience. I own about 15 adapters purchased from either eBay for around $14 each and one expensive "pro" Fotodiox adapter
thanks Derrel.

recent info on Leica cameras; about 1970, they joined Minolta to design their cameras. this explains a lot about the Leica R4. alies "together again". vin

T-mount adapters for Leica R do exist and there are lots of T-mount lenses out there.

Tamron also made an R adapter for its AdaptAll lenses.

T-mount adapters for Leica R do exist and there are lots of T-mount lenses out there.

Tamron also made an R adapter for its AdaptAll lenses.
thanks; T mount is a good choice.

I held a R4s at the store. It was solid, clunky looking thing. It actually felt great in the hands and it felt precise. The windind, shutter sound. View finder was big. I was interested until he told me the price. It was like new or open box. It had a summicron 50mm. He wanted like $650 for it.

summicron lens - must have had an adapter. the original lens might go for $600, the body for $60. --- with the origonal box! it might be a very good camera (made by minolta). ill let you know when i get a lens. enter the net; " want leica R4s body in new condition". vin

summicron lens - must have had an adapter. the original lens might go for $600, the body for $60. --- with the origonal box! it might be a very good camera (made by minolta). ill let you know when i get a lens. enter the net; " want leica R4s body in new condition". vin

Did Leica make a Summicron-R?
\
Edit: quick Google search turns up: Leica Summicron-R 50mm (E55) f/2 Lens Review

I've seen lots of R4s here in LA. They often don't work, at least not fully. They usually have electronics issues.

Clueless sellers (such as estate sale companies) ask big money for them regardless and try to sell them with "no returns."

The Minolta XD cameras are very similar to the R4 which was a joint venture between Leitz and Minolta. A working XD costs a lot less than a working R4 and Minolta lenses are quite good.

Last edited:
I've seen lots of R4s here in LA. They often don't work, at least not fully. They usually have electronics issues.

Clueless sellers (such as estate sale companies) ask big money for them regardless and try to sell them with "no returns."

The Minolta XD cameras are very similar to the R4 which was a joint venture between Leitz and Minolta. A working XD costs a lot less than a working R4 and Minolta lenses are quite good.

Leica R4 review

Leica R-Mount - One / Two / Three-Cam / ROM

From above R4 review:
"Does the R4 age well? Yes, a vintage R4 can still provide good services."

Yes, "good services" as a paper weight, door stop, fishing sinker, etc. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back