use noise to your advatage

thingsIsee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hear people bad mouthing noise all the time. Although in a color pic where sharpness and clarity count noise is a bad thing depending on the subject you can make it work for you.
This was a very dark seen and the perfect setting for an old black smith shot.
oldblacksmith1of12.jpg

....Exif says ISO 100. :confused: And flash too?

Why so much noise in a low ISO, flash exposed picture?

The only thing that bugs me about the conversion is that shadow from the flash. If it weren't for that, I never would have questioned it...

....Exif says ISO 100. :confused: And flash too?

Why so much noise in a low ISO, flash exposed picture?

The only thing that bugs me about the conversion is that shadow from the flash. If it weren't for that, I never would have questioned it...

yes its true ISO was 100 and the flash did fire (built in) for effect, but if you also notice the F stop of 8 and exp was 1/60. this alowed for just enough light to get a shot not one of the right exp quality. as stated it was very dark even at 8:44 AM. the only real light in the seen was from the back window and the fire.

as for the noise yes its true at ISO 100 even with a underpowered flash there shouldn't be very much noise, and there wasn't but using the type of processing I was able to use the noise instead of remove it.

My point is even at ISO 1600 or above noise can be your friend if the shot could benefit from it. After all a properly exposed shot of a black smith (this kind of setting) would be just that. see trever1t's coment

I do agree. I think some photos merit using a high iso to achieve a noisy, gritty affect. Not every photo though, it definitely takes the right kind of shot to be stylized with noise.

if you want natural noise, bump up the ISO and lose the flash! It will certainly look better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back